Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Porters and Stouts

What's Hot

Now the weather is getting chilly I tend to go to the darkside and enjoy more porters and stouts.

So far my favourite is Five Points Railway Porter.

Bingham's Vanilla Stout and Sainsbury's Taste the Difference London Porter are both pretty decent too. 

What are your favourites? Any recommendations?

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7344
    Mackesons - my all time fave beer full stop!

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Don't know if it's a porter or a stout, but Old Peculier (lunatics broth) is a canny heavy beer.
    Tastes of chocolate and dark molasses (to me anyway). One pint makes me feel relaxed and happy. Two pints makes me truculent and aggressive!
  • vizviz Frets: 10707
    edited November 2018
    Don't know if it's a porter or a stout, but Old Peculiar (lunatics broth) is a canny heavy beer.
    Tastes of chocolate and dark molasses (to me anyway). One pint makes me feel relaxed and happy. Two pints maces me truculent and aggressive!

* Peculier

“A Peculier is an ecclesiastical district, parish, chapel or church outside the jurisdiction of the bishop of the diocese in which it is situated.” - never knew that! I thought it was just a quirky spelling of peculiar. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16113
    My beard isn't long and wispy enough and I gave my knitted cardigans to Oxfam so I'm not qualified to comment on such things !  ;)
    2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • viz said:
    Don't know if it's a porter or a stout, but Old Peculiar (lunatics broth) is a canny heavy beer.
    Tastes of chocolate and dark molasses (to me anyway). One pint makes me feel relaxed and happy. Two pints maces me truculent and aggressive!

* Peculier

“A Peculier is an ecclesiastical district, parish, chapel or church outside the jurisdiction of the bishop of the diocese in which it is situated.” - never knew that! I thought it was just a quirky spelling of peculiar. 
    Thanks....I've altered spelling. Predictive text eh....
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4316
    Dominic said:
    My beard isn't long and wispy enough and I gave my knitted cardigans to Oxfam so I'm not qualified to comment on such things !  ;)

But the bitter(ness) is strong in you!

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10707
    viz said:

* Peculier

Thanks....I've altered spelling. Predictive text eh....
    Great drink anyway, absolutely delicious with chips, ready salted crisps, etc. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.

@57Deluxe I shall give Mackeson's a try.

@StanleyAccrington Old P is a favourite of mine. You have good taste. I still to try it draught though.

• Have recently been gifted some bottles of Unicorn Black.. quite nice alternative to Guinness..
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12386
    edited November 2018
    My mate is Jamaican, he gets me Dragon stout from a shop in Moss Side, his Rasta dad swears by it. Dragon Stout, Ganja and dominos for life!

i do like Guinness Porter as well the Guiness milk stout is great too
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • Williams Bros - March of the Penguins is my favourite, on the rare occasion I can get hold of it.

https://www.williamsbrosbrew.com/beer/march-of-the-penguins

I love a Brains Dark too and Guinness Milk Stout.

• exocetexocet Frets: 1962
    Nigerian Guiness (Foreign Extra Stout) ......7.5% :)
  • jdgmjdgm Frets: 852
    The Sainsbury's Tast The Difference one is excellent.
    Guinness Foreign Extra in 330ml bottles- make sure this is NOT the Nigerian stuff (which is horrible IMO), but brewed in Ireland and superb - as is their 'West Indian' porter.
    Stouts and porters seem to be up and coming now in the craft beer world...
  • Meantime London Stout is lovely, not too heavy either. 

Campervan Brewery Milk Stout is amazing too. 

• 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Weird Beard Black Perle
    Bristol Beer Factory Milk Stout
    Hunter's Black Jack
    Driftwood Spars Bolster's Blood
    West Berkshire Tamesis
    Fallen Acorn Pot Kettle
    Fallen Acorn Egg Nog
    Leighton Buzzard Black Buzzard
    Vibrant Forest Kick-Start

... and for the really hardcore:

Harvey's Imperial Extra Double Stout
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9660
    edited November 2018

Tiny Rebel Stay Puft is a recent favourite - made with marshmallows!

There's a great beer shop near me and I picked up a few cans of Imperial Porter type stuff recently. Can't remember what they were called, but they are in my fridge!

• The Tiny Rebel Stay Puft is great, as is Saltaire Brewery Double Chocolate Stout, Sam Smiths Oatmeal Stout is pretty decent , Oskar Brews TenFidy , Founders Breakfast Stout

Ilkley Brewery , The Mayan for something a wee bit different. Lots of Stouts out there. 

Cheers guys.

I'm gonna be pissed as a fart with all these to try.

Keep them coming...

• hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    Titanic Plum Porter.

Absolutely f*****g lovely. 

I win the thread.........
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom