Boss Fz-2 boost clones?

ReverendReverend Frets: 5006
Any ideas on pedals that sound like the boost circuit of the hyperfuzz?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72516
    Behringer SF-300 Super Fuzz. It's a dead-on copy - I've got both and they sound identical.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• jdbwalesjdbwales Frets: 313
    I’ve always been intrigued by this too - is there anything ‘special’ about the FZ2 boost or is it just a massive clean boost with tone controls? Is there any clean boost (only) that would do the same job?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72516
    jdbwales said:
    I’ve always been intrigued by this too - is there anything ‘special’ about the FZ2 boost or is it just a massive clean boost with tone controls? Is there any clean boost (only) that would do the same job?
    It goes through the first couple of transistor gain stages so it's likely that it's not entirely clean and is doing something a bit 'special', although I haven't scoped it.

The Behringer only costs about £20 new anyway, so I'm not sure there's any advantage in not having the fuzz part, even if you don't want it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• The FZ-2 is a favourite of James Dean Bradfield and the CS-3 I think? @jdbwales ;correct me if I’m wrong? I love the gain boost on the FZ-2, definitely past 12 o’clock there’s a quite a bit of grit. I have the gain set fairly low and use it to boost my OD-1. It sounds bloody huge
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4582
    That Behringer has a super eq too, especially on the boost side