VDSLModem/routers advice - Replacement router for a BT Business Hub 6 with a fixed IP

Hi All,

I'm hoping some fellow Fretboarder can save me research time and mistakes. As per the title we have a BT Business Hub 6 and we also pay for a fixed IP. BT seem to have some strange restrictions for example if you try to use a Home Hub 6 the fixed external facing IP cannot be set anywhere - I checked and spoke to a second line engineer who could not believe it but his colleagues confirmed (it was fairly new out then). A Business Hub 6 is literally plug and play. 

Anybody setup an alternative router so I can get rid of my Business Hub 6? Remember this is a fixed IP and BT won't necessarily help me to get the necessary configs settings.

This is for a home office and not a data centre so I'm looking for a fairly inexpensive but robust solution.

Why do I want to get rid of it? For years now BT can update and access the hub externally, which means others probably can, all software seems to have a hack even if it is just dat theft at the BT end. I went to modify some settings on the hub and the password did not work. I had that stored in a KeePass system so that should not have failed, I would like to get it of our system.

Thanks in advance folks, help appreciated.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• revsorgrevsorg Frets: 884
    This isn't an answer to your question but over the years we wasted thousands on our BT Business service because we needed a static IP address. I was so happy when I discovered that Plusnet give you one virtually for free for the same service as BT at a hugely reduced price.
  • notanonnotanon Frets: 610
    @revsorg ;
    Any replies appreciated ;-)

Silly isn't it given Plusnet are owned by BT. We pay just £5 a month for a fixed IP now on top of Unlimited Business Infinity Broadband. Years ago we used to get 10Mb/s download and 7Mb/s upload. Now we get 24Mb/s download and 1.1 / 1.2 Mb/s upload. That upload speed is crippling us actually but we cannot move to another provider other than BT or Plusnet. Plusnet offer the same speeds with their checker.

On the BT Business Broadband Forum people complained about 'extreme Asymmetric differences' and members would recommend waiting until an engineer joined the thread and they would sort that out. Apparently they did but that is not possible not anymore, the forum is pretty dead.

They say we cannot increase the upload speed (erm 6, 7, . .  years ago we had 7Mb/s) I said we are happy to reduce the download but they said that is not possible. A skype video struggles with 1.2 MB upload.

I am looking forward to costs of 4G (5G??) being reduced I have seen 70Mb/s down and 30 Mb/s up (I realise that is for a stream but that would suit us fine).