Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Compressor advice needed for somebody that’s never had one.

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• jellybellyjellybelly Frets: 760
    edited November 2018
    I’m in the ‘isnt that what my right hand should be doing’ camp - they mess with how things bloom and not in a way I like/not suited to the music I play. 

That said i tried a few that were better than others - Visual Sound Route 66/Comp 66 and the Rothwell Love Squeeze come to mind. Steer clear of the Boss CS-3 - I found it was good for holding doors open and not much else!!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I’m in the ‘isnt that what my right hand should be doing’ camp - they mess with how things bloom and not in a way I like/not suited to the music I play. 

That said i tried a few that were better than others - Visual Sound Route 66/Comp 66 and the Rothwell Love Squeeze come to mind. Steer clear of the Boss CS-3 - I found it was good for holding doors open and not much else!!
    You can get a good sound with a Boss CS-3.... when the door bangs. Not the greatest pedal, OK for Chickin Pickin I guess
    “Ken sent me.”
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Had no experience with cheap ones, but it is like anything else, you get what you pay for. I have heard good things about the Cali76 and Diamond Compressor though. MXR do one (Dyna Comp) as do Earthquaker (Warden) and ThorpyFX do the Fat General which is excellent.
    We are a UK based, family run company retailing guitar effects pedals and accessories online. 
    https://www.breakthemachine.co.uk  connect@breakthemachine.co.uk
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Compressors are great for disco and country cleans. If you use overdrive and distortion, you are probably compressing your signal already.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom