• RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13946
    edited November 2018
    I started with the no. 7 and ended up with England Narwhal Grey

What a pile of shite.

I want my money back

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10707
    edited November 2018
    I always get an Echidna from the Democratic Republic of Congo. :)
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    DB1 said:
    Chalky said:
    Another old one that is harder to explain.

The first thing is to write the word 'Carrot' on something that the target person will be able to see in plain sight but with the word carrot hidden from view, eg a piece of paper turned over.  The better you make this, the better the reveal (I once did it on the bottom of a paper plate that someone was using).  You may want to write Cabbage in a suitable secondary location.

The second thing is to clear the target person's mind.  To do this, some simple arithmetic will do.  Start with 1+1 and keep doubling until you ask 32+32. When they say 64, calmly but quickly ask them "What's the first vegetable you think of?"

Seven or more out of ten will say Carrot, one or two will say Cabbage.  (If their answer is not given immediately, they will likely answer with something else, and you have lost.)  If they say Carrot, you then reveal the answer in plain sight and your audience is astounded.

Why does it work? Some say Carrot is often the first vegetable learnt in English, and that the 'kicking Ka-' phoneme is one of the first sounds we learn to speak.  Whatever the reason, the result is Carrot in the vast majority of cases.
    I also wonder whether 16 and 32 are associated with the word 'carat' and therefore seem familiar in context.
    If you're automatically associating 16 and 32 with carat you're insanely wealthy... A 1 carat diamond of average quality would retail for about £1000 and its a logarithmic scale from there... 

Even if you mean karat that's 9, 14, 18, 22 and 24.

It's because carot is a common veg and early in the alphabet... So our brain catalog will have it around... Unless you ask people a they walk out of M&S with their food shopping, then you might get kale or avacado... 
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 5025
    You can see how much I know about gold, can't you?  =)
    Call me Dave.