I used vi

What's Hot
quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
To successfully change the contents of a file over multiple lines, save it, and quit. Jesus Christ, I feel like I deserve a medal!
4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• relic245relic245 Frets: 966
    Was it actual Vi? 
    If so then yes you do! 

Years ago when I was a developer I used Vim for years. Wrote loads of my own functions etc. Took a long time to really get to grips with it but a seriously powerful editor. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 3093
    Never knew it could do that, I've been cleaning the bog with it for years

Image result for vim cleaner
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    relic245 said:
    Was it actual Vi? 
    If so then yes you do! 

Years ago when I was a developer I used Vim for years. Wrote loads of my own functions etc. Took a long time to really get to grips with it but a seriously powerful editor. 
    I think so. I had to use "hjkl" for navigating, "i" and "a" for entering text, "D" for deleting the rest of the line.. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72758
    edited November 2018
    I thought this was going to be about a blue pill.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • vi was originally designed for when you didn't have a mouse or cursor control keys. Powerful, but you never knew when you were in control mode or in insert mode. I still use it in circumstances when gedit is inappropriate
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    Think yourself lucky - I spent the whole of my time at university using elm as an email client. Gaaaaaaaaah!
  • wolsnahwolsnah Frets: 190
    I still use vi. It's the easiest lowest common denominator editor on Unix, doesn't need a gui and easily added to windows. I'm no wizard but I'm comfortable using it. It is fun watching others use it for the first time and reminding myself of the start of the journey. 
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12019
    wolsnah said:
    I still use vi. It's the easiest lowest common denominator editor on Unix, doesn't need a gui and easily added to windows. I'm no wizard but I'm comfortable using it. It is fun watching others use it for the first time and reminding myself of the start of the journey. 
    masochism
  • vizviz Frets: 10746
    I use vi whenever we play Since you been Gone. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    What??
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• OssyrocksOssyrocks Frets: 1675
    In 1996, I wrote the entire UMIST Maths dept website in vi.

I’m better now.

Rob
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    quarky said:
    To successfully change the contents of a file over multiple lines, save it, and quit. Jesus Christ, I feel like I deserve a medal!
    You actually managed to quit vi? That always seemed to be the hardest thing kinda like you could check out, but you could never leave.

Somebody once told me that “vi” stood for “visual interface”. I didn’t stop laughing for about 3 weeks.
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    I had to use it this term...our "Enterprise Server Management" course required editing of files in our CentOS 7 VMs through SSH or he ghastly vSphere Remote Console  (copy/paste is disabled by default, and we don't have admin power in vSphere)... so the only editor available was vi...

Well either that or
    echo "text" > file
    echo "text" >> file
    echo "text" >> file
    echo "text" >> file

but that's not much better than vi
  • @Myranda ; you'd have been better off with

cat > file
    all the text you like
    <control-D>

;)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • wibblewibble Frets: 1111
    I use vi all the time on servers and on my mac for config files. The scrubs on my team use nano.

You can tell people's experience by their level of habitual ESC key mashing!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6401
    Had to use vi for a long time.

EMACS, now there is an editor !

Today for a quick in & out job I use nano
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4934
    Got to love an editor where you press "l" to move right...  :3

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • God I hate using it, copy and paste a line.. Still sorts the men from the power shell boys, and I use that as well
    “Ken sent me.”
  • mcsdanmcsdan Frets: 451
    Been using it for over 25 years! Great little editor once you undertstand it. Do have a life to live and beer to drink. Vi just gets on with it! :)
  • wolsnahwolsnah Frets: 190
    You should try using ed, now there's an evilly hard non-intuitive editor.