Guitar rig 5 - free version!

What's Hot
Since 2006 I've only ever used the default Cubase plugins for recording and home jamming along to backing tracks (yes I know I  am well behind the curve).  Last week I learnt about and downloaded Guitar Rig 5 (free version) and improv'd over a random backing track using a default factory patch "Cheesy 80 metal lead".  I recorded it to see what I though of it and i was well impressed, I love the tones.  I'm kicking myself for not getting involved sooner.  I'm probably the only one on here who's not explored plugins since 2006 but in case there's anyone else in same boat as me..... go for it, the tones are so much better than old default DAW plugins!!!!  This could be a slippery slope for me now.  I need more...

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7815
    edited November 2018
    I reckon guitar rig 5 is just about the guitar sim worst plugin out there these days, thought maybe the waves one gets the title), it hasn't been updated for a long time, think it was released back in 2010 or 11. Point being if you love that one, well then yes, it's a slippery slope as most of the others are quite a bit better (imo)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @Teetonetal  ;As above I'm quite a noob with these plugins.  What would you say is a better one to explore?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2205
    edited November 2018
    @Teetonetal  ;;;;As above I'm quite a noob with these plugins.  What would you say is a better one to explore?

Scuffham S-Gear
    Helix Native
    Kazrog 
    IK Amplitube Fender 2
    For bass: Helix Native then IK Ampeg SVX2

I mainly use Helix Native these days, because I find it easier to fit in an overall mix. Although, in isolation,  I still think S-Gear sounds and feels a bit more like playing through a real amp.

It's weird because when I first fire up Helix Native it doesn't always feel and sound great but then it ends up working well in an overall track. So, if I had to pick one, I'd go for Helix Native. I've used Helix Native for every recent entry to theFretboard challenges for guitar and bass.

It's not a competition.
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    I reckon guitar rig 5 is just about the guitar sim worst plugin out there these days, thought maybe the waves one gets the title), it hasn't been updated for a long time, think it was released back in 2010 or 11. Point being if you love that one, well then yes, it's a slippery slope as most of the others are quite a bit better (imo)
    Agree that Guitar Rig is behind most others but surprised you'd say that about the Waves one - I've always thought the standard Waves one was pretty decent and the more recent PRS models are actually very good.

@Teetonetal  ;As above I'm quite a noob with these plugins.  What would you say is a better one to explore?
    Kazrog Thermionic and Scuffham S-Gear are the 2 best sounding ones IMO (fairly recently I tried as many different ones as I could). Also, from Googling forum threads and the likes, they both seem quite highly regarded by people who appear to have tried out many different ones.

Amplitube is attractive because it has a lot of brand name endorsements so you can use gear named after real gear and with the proper drawing of it on the interface. The interface is great; e.g. you can move a drawing of a microphone around a drawing of a cabinet in 3 dimensions and it changes the sound, rather than just text menus of microphone placements. Some of the amps do sound good too, especially Fender. Ultimately the sounds just didn't do it for me though, the way it did with the first 2 I mentioned.
  • Helix Native
    As in, £311 Helix Native?!?!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Helix Native
    Yeah...that's always put me off. Plugging my own amp and pedals in via DI gets me close enough. Spending that money on top seems daft.

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • @thegummy ; oooh Kazrog Thermionic  has 40% off in blackfriday sale...

• @thegummy ; oooh Kazrog Thermionic  has 40% off in blackfriday sale...

From where? 

• Mercuriall Spark is worth a demo, it’s on Black Friday deal right now. Sounds great for Marshall type sounds

https://mercuriall.com/cms/details_spark
  • My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

• Yup bargain, think I'll have that too.

The only thing with Kazrog is that the interface is purely functional to control it - it doesn't have fancy drawings of amps and cabinets with relic marks and all that - but if you can live without the visual gimmick the sound is very good and that price is great.
    Helix Native
    Yeah...that's always put me off. Plugging my own amp and pedals in via DI gets me close enough. Spending that money on top seems daft.
    Having never tried it, I can only guess that recording a real amp DI and then using a free IR plugin for the cabinet simulation would surely sound much better than any digitally modelled amp going through an IR cabinet.

Maybe there's some kind of electrical loading or something that I don't understand that means it's not the case, maybe someone else will know that.

I know that if I had a lottery win I'd very much fancy that Universal Audio OX that allows you to plug real amps in direct and it has built-in cabinet simulation.
  • thegummy said:
    Helix Native
    Having never tried it, I can only guess that recording a real amp DI and then using a free IR plugin for the cabinet simulation would surely sound much better than any digitally modelled amp going through an IR cabinet.

Maybe there's some kind of electrical loading or something that I don't understand that means it's not the case, maybe someone else will know that.

I know that if I had a lottery win I'd very much fancy that Universal Audio OX that allows you to plug real amps in direct and it has built-in cabinet simulation.
    Having an actual Helix unit and plugging that in is probably better value,  despite being 3 x the price, because at least then you have a product you can use live as well.

• Helix Native makes sense if you've already got a Helix or Helix LT (which I have) because then there's a discount.

Otherwise, try S-Gear, or Kazrog (with Recabinet).
    It's not a competition.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28344
    Nice widdlin there, my fingers don't go that fast. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • @fastonebaz sgear is where I'd start. It's 99usd but has is free to trial. Depends a bit on what style you play though, it's better at low gain to classic rock. They are releasing a major new version soon though, which means it's not been developed for 2 years.

@thegummy sorry I didn't like the prs models at all. Thought they sounded very fake or at least nothing like an amp I'd choose to use.
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10277
    I got Helix Native for £100 when I bought a used Helix. I sold the Helix a few months later for a bit more than what I paid for it. The new guy didn’t want the Plugin and didn’t seem to know what it was for, so happy days all round. 

I have a Kemper and while I think it’s much, much better, having an editor is a god send. And it does sound great too. 
  • axisus said:
    Nice widdlin there, my fingers don't go that fast. 

They will one day I'm sure.