Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Practice for a gig but all goes wrong

What's Hot

Comments

• randellarandella Frets: 4225
    Paul7926 said:
    I watch a fair few pub bands and if they are playing a cover of something I've listened to a 1000 times I might notice that it's not 'perfect' with respect to the original recording but so what.
    Me too, and you're right - it doesn't matter.  Often it's really interesting to see what they come up with instead; their own take, if you like.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10718
    PhilW1 said:
    The other thing I do when I make a mistake is look across at the other guitar/bass player shaking my head
    Although that does come across as though the bass player has made a mistake, which is a good thing to publicise (and is also probably true anyway). 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • wow! Didn't realise i would get so much info from everyone. Firstly thanks so much. I'm hoping this will help others too.

I have read what everyone has had to say and love all the suggestions. I do normally improvise and i get away with it... it sounds great. I guess i do need to keep practicing the solos until i can't fluff it. Practice standing, moving around etc.

I even adjusted my strap today so my guitar was lower than normal. This helped my right arm become straighter and more relaxed. Wrist on the left hand is still in a comfortable playing position. I normally have the guitar slightly lower than seating position but lowering it more has really helped bringing the elbow down.

But i do understand what people say regarding the audience not knowing and caring. It should all be about the energy, performance and the crowd having a good time. 

I guess as years go on playing i wanted to get better as a musician, i put the effort it, but when you get get moments like that it does suck. But its about picking yourself back up and starting again. Learn from mistakes and get better. 

This has made me think i do really need a kemper! here what my tone will sound like at any volume with headphones in? haha To be fair a valve amp can sound different every gig and can either put you off or inspire you. Amp volume, direction of you are standing where the amp is pointing etc can change this, 

A kemper with IEM will sound the same every night and therefore the tone shouldn't add to the difficulties. Xmas is just around the corner might have to treat myself :)
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    HAL9000 said:
    Even the best can get it wrong. 2:19...

https://youtu.be/bP-1W6qtTZg
    He fucked up and yet he's smiling, is heroin responsible for both of these things?
  • randellarandella Frets: 4225
    roberty said:
    HAL9000 said:

He fucked up and yet he's smiling, is heroin responsible for both of these things?
    Pretty sure he was clean by then.  Maybe it's the reassurance of the ciggie tucked into the low E. :)
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7344
    just don't set expectation levels so high. If a solo is a bit of a pig and you only nail it 'off-the-cuff'  say 70% of the time only, then simplify it or discard the song. This happens with top bands also, so don't try to be too much. Many blinding solos are actually pieced together in a studio environment. Perfect example of a band not being true to their own iconic solos is 10cc and the I'm Mandy Fly Me solo... they play it shite live...

Live @2.55

THE iconic solo @3.04

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    I tend to have my live solos evolve over a period, that way they are well within my abilities and repeatable for the benefit of the rest of the covers band. I might start with the original recorded solo when I learn the song and use that as the hook, but use my own 'style' over bits that might trip me up.
    That said there is an old addage, amatures practice until they get it right, professionals practice until they can't get it wrong.  I do find it easier to learn solos I like/admire, but in any event copying anothers solo builds commercial style into your own playing which can benefit you when you need to go off piste.
    Following @viz theme there are several similar
    It's not the note you play that's the wrong note - it's the note you play afterwards that makes it right or wrong. - Miles Davis.

“To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable.” Ludwig van Beethoven

Edit:
    I should have read the second page before posting, several people got thier first. Doh!
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7344
    Jazz - all the wrong notes in any old order...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    If I'm playing a constructed solo it's more stressful than purely improvising. My advice is start the solo as written improvise in the middle and end it as written. People will be sure you nailed it note for note.

This was essentially the technique employed by the late great Tommy Tedesco, he would ensure he played 'in time' even if he missed some of the written notes out. That way it sounded right as part of the ensamble and usually even the director/band leader didn't notice. By the time he'd played it through 4 or 5 times on the session it was a) better, and b) People heard what they expected/had got used to.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7538
    Lots of good advice here - to which I'd add the addage "don't practice until you can get it right, practice until you can't get it wrong"!
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3061
    Just go with the flow then you find you play a hell of a lot better.

I've done whole gigs without realising my guitar was out of tune 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Mark1960Mark1960 Frets: 326
    When practicing at home, every now and then i "sneak up" on myself, and play the first solo that comes into my head, if I can nail it I know I am OK, if I can't I know more practice is required. In sport we used to say 10,000 repetitions to reinforce a skill so it becomes automatic, I guess the same is true with guitar playing - "Amatures practice 'till they get it right, Pro's practice 'till they can't get it wrong" as the saying goes. Another very trueism is "The more I practice the luckier I get" so IMHO it's practice practice practice! And when you do get it wrong cos we are all human and you have put the hours in, it's no big deal, just one of those things.
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    I play almost exclusively constructed solos, and almost every gig I will fuck up at least one or two. So yes, they are probably more prone to mistakes, but my advice is:

1. Accept you ARE going to make a mistake, so that when you do, you feel it's normal and you don't even bat an eyelid.
    2. Recognise the difference between your state of mind when practicing and when gigging, and practice accordingly. For me, my mind when gigging is akin to trying to play after not having slept for two days and then downing 5 pints of beer. So I practice my solos until I feel confident that I can still play them even in that state.

However, as long as you manage number 1, then you would have already made a big step forwards.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8747

A kemper with IEM will sound the same every night and therefore the tone shouldn't add to the difficulties. 
    Don’t forget the Fletcher Munson effect: mid range disappears as you turn the volume up. A lot of people create a sound which works well at bedroom level. When used with a band it doesn’t cut through. Worse, when they turn up their guitar, the sound compresses and fattens rather than getting louder. However with a modeller you can easily do something about this.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    randella said:
    roberty said:
    HAL9000 said:

Pretty sure he was clean by then.  Maybe it's the reassurance of the ciggie tucked into the low E. :)
    Tucking into an E?  Highly irresponsible ;-)
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31641
    wow! Didn't realise i would get so much info from everyone. Firstly thanks so much. I'm hoping this will help others too.

I have read what everyone has had to say and love all the suggestions. I do normally improvise and i get away with it... it sounds great. I guess i do need to keep practicing the solos until i can't fluff it. Practice standing, moving around etc.

I even adjusted my strap today so my guitar was lower than normal. This helped my right arm become straighter and more relaxed. Wrist on the left hand is still in a comfortable playing position. I normally have the guitar slightly lower than seating position but lowering it more has really helped bringing the elbow down.

But i do understand what people say regarding the audience not knowing and caring. It should all be about the energy, performance and the crowd having a good time. 

I guess as years go on playing i wanted to get better as a musician, i put the effort it, but when you get get moments like that it does suck. But its about picking yourself back up and starting again. Learn from mistakes and get better. 

This has made me think i do really need a kemper! here what my tone will sound like at any volume with headphones in? haha To be fair a valve amp can sound different every gig and can either put you off or inspire you. Amp volume, direction of you are standing where the amp is pointing etc can change this, 

A kemper with IEM will sound the same every night and therefore the tone shouldn't add to the difficulties. Xmas is just around the corner might have to treat myself :)
    Fair play mate, only a true Fretboarder can turn a few bum notes into a need for hundreds of pounds worth of new equipment.

Good GASsing that man! 

;) 

(Fwiw I do know exactly what you mean, inconsistent sound is probably the thing which unsettles me more than anything playing live)
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10449

I think the biggest reason I see for people making mistakes is they don't seem to know what key they are in when playing a solo .... maybe that comes from guitarist learning from tab and shapes rather than learning from a notes and sca;es prospective.
     Basically as long as you stay on key and stay on time when playing nothing will stand out too badly even if you get some of the notes in the wrong order ... they will still be in the right key and sound OK. 

So my grain of wisdom for playing live is apply a bit of science to it, your be surprised how much difference it can make 

www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969 said:

I think the biggest reason I see for people making mistakes is they don't seem to know what key they are in when playing a solo .... maybe that comes from guitarist learning from tab and shapes rather than learning from a notes and sca;es prospective.
     Basically as long as you stay on key and stay on time when playing nothing will stand out too badly even if you get some of the notes in the wrong order ... they will still be in the right key and sound OK. 

So my grain of wisdom for playing live is apply a bit of science to it, your be surprised how much difference it can make 

Yes, definitely. And...If you find you just can't get back in to the solo you can just crash out a few big chords that fit with the key and sound 'dramatic'.  Instant Townshend :)  I've done this loads live and no-one ever thinks I've gone wrong, because I  kind of haven't really....:)
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4042
    Danny1969 said:

Basically as long as you stay on key and stay on time when playing nothing will stand out too badly...

Yes, definitely...
    Another yes, definitely!
    There's the one-note-solo a la Neil Young; or Chuck B double stops.  Fun!
    Obviously you use yer loaf:  you don't try and get away with winging the intro to "SCOM" -- people will notice! 
    But five notes in key played with a punk-as-fuck attitude will work.
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2253
    As a post script I had to take a solo on I saw mommy sic kissing santa clause, I used the melody as a base because there are a lot of changes. I got lost. I knew there was an a section coming up, so hit that confidently and ended on the root. I also widdled around the ended so finished strong.

Only my wife noticed.