kt66kt66 Frets: 315
edited May 2019 in Guitar
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5796
    Assuming they did win it for the £80 auction price, by the time they’ve paid the fees, had it shipped, checked it over, set it up and put new strings on it, they must be in for over £200. Seems about right to me. Not there’s much as tough as making a retail business work in this climate. 
  • If it's a good guitar it's a good guitar, but random custom stuff isn't what sells well at auction. And don't forget buyer's premium puts it over 100.

I like it and assume it's better than an Epiphone but not as good as a Gibson*, otherwise GV wouldn't try and sell it for that price.

* obviously I realise there's a big crossover between a great Epi and shit Gibson, but you know what I mean.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6220
    tFB Trader
    https://guitar-auctions.co.uk/how-to-bid/

Yeah I don’t think it’s as simple as all that though.... the shop,will have paid  £80 plus 20% buyers  fee which makes £96. Then add vat to the buyers fee of £3.20

so £99.20 cost.

Then they have to add vat into the total so on £399 that’s £66.50 of vat..

and before they can sell it needs checking over,, potentially fixing, new strings, setting up, photoing  and listing ..... all of which costs money.

Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • Not an unusual mark up. As a guitar addict I’ve been buying and selling guitars over many decades. As a rule I’ve found that if you’re selling a used guitar a dealer will almost always offer you a ridiculously low price, on the other hand if you’re buying a used guitar the dealers price will usually  be much higher than you’d expect to pay privately. It’s just a fact of life, if you really want it and the dealer’s got it you just have to pay up, (I’ve had to on the odd occasion).