Boss SD1 Waza Craft

What's Hot
rawk100rawk100 Frets: 1757
A mate of mine lent me his SD1 Waza overdrive the other day to try with my marshall as a boost. I've had a couple of standard SD1's over the years and, although they are ok, I've never kept them. However I was pleasantly surprised at how good this Waza pedal sounds, from what i remember it's alot better than the other SD1's. In standard mode it seems to sound fuller/thicker yet retains a lot of clarity and definition, even with the gain cranked up. Its great for boosting the marshall for teh metalz. The custom mode seems to have more gain and bass with less mids yet still retains a lot of clarity.

Any other Waza love/experience round here?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I love the BD2W, it's a great pedal in both modes. I'd love to try the MT2W too.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
  • DanRDanR Frets: 1041
    I like my Waza SD1.

Its seen off a lot of expensive boosts/drives as well.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • rawk100rawk100 Frets: 1757
    Apparently the waza circuit is slightly different to a normal SD1 because it uses "discrete components" rather than an op amp/chip. The construction uses the smaller SMD components as well. Don't know if this approach is used across all Waza models....
  • I own a Waza Tuner. Looks cool, and works well. The only downside, in my experience, is that it eats batteries. It’s now living on my first pedalboard, and is Zuma powered.
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6096
    Every one of the Waza series I've tried has sounded good. Currently use the VB-2w which is an exact sonic recreation of the original but with an option for a deeper/lusher sound. 
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    The waza sd1 is a great pedal, much better than the original and probably my first choice for any boosting needs 
  • The Waza chorus and analogue delay are both sublime. I’d like to get hold of the Blues driver. 
  • My DM2W will only be removed from my cold dead hand.  Love it!

BD2W on its way to join the herd!

Cheers
  • Does anybody know if the Waza versions have fixed the volume drop you get using multiple "normal" Boss pedals?
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7541
    rawk100 said:
    Apparently the waza circuit is slightly different to a normal SD1 because it uses "discrete components" rather than an op amp/chip. The construction uses the smaller SMD components as well. Don't know if this approach is used across all Waza models....
    if the Waza SD-1 doesn't have an opamp I'll eat my (or at least a) hat 
    Red ones are better. 
    TimmyO said:
    I didnt believe it either but according to this review it doesnt:

https://tonereport.com/reviews/boss-waza-craft-sd-1w-super-overdrive

And this one:

https://www.theguitarmagazine.com/gear/boss-waza-craft-sd-1w-and-bd-2w-reviews/
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7541
    rawk100 said:
    TimmyO said:
    I didnt believe it either but according to this review it doesnt:

https://tonereport.com/reviews/boss-waza-craft-sd-1w-super-overdrive

And this one:

https://www.theguitarmagazine.com/gear/boss-waza-craft-sd-1w-and-bd-2w-reviews/
    blimey. TimmyO seeks chocolate hat 
    Red ones are better. 
  • Both the BD-2 and the OD-3 use something similar, i.e. an opamp made of discrete components rather than fabricated on a single chip. There's more than one stage of diode clipping going on in those as well. I'm guessing the SD-1W has the standard SD-1/OD-1 diode clipping, just that the opamp is made of discrete components, so that the mode switch swaps some component in the opamp to get the different sound. Just a guess though!
  • I think I've bought every single Waza pedal so far....starting with the SD-1W, BD-2W and the DM-2W.

I've been super impressed with ALL of them. 

My favourite so far is the VB-2W, closely followed by the DM-2W.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2911
    How does the Custom mode on the SD1w compare to something like a Klon? Does it still have that tubescreamer-esque compressed sound to it or is it more of a "transparent" clean boost?
    TTBZ said:
    How does the Custom mode on the SD1w compare to something like a Klon? Does it still have that tubescreamer-esque compressed sound to it or is it more of a "transparent" clean boost?
    I haven't got a klon type pedal at the moment so can't compare them I'm afraid. In custom mode it sounds less compressed to me but I wouldn't call it transparent, the distortion still feels tight and not wooly. With the gain right down in custom mode it will give you a clean boost and the tone still works well, but you only have to nudge the gain to 9 o clock and the grit starts to come in. 
  • SamgbSamgb Frets: 774
    SD1W and the BD2W on my board. BD2 cleanish but boosting. SD1 just about 12 o-clock on the drive. Works for me.