Electric assist MTB”s anyone tried one?

What's Hot
ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6220
edited November 2018 in Off Topic tFB Trader
has anyone here tried one of these bikes? I’m looking at an electric motor assisted MTB, basically as a commuting tool and to ease me back into a physical hobby.

any pros, cons?
Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• duotoneduotone Frets: 995
    Never tried one but this video might be worth a watch (even though it’s 2 years old now)

https://youtu.be/lRGOY0wgPqs
  • I haven’t tried them in a mountain biking context, but had a day on an electric touring bike in Japan and it was great fun. I keep the system off most of the time but used it for a little extra push on big uphills. Greta fun and very easy to use. 

Charging might be annoying depending on your storage logistics, but I don’t see any issues if that’s all good.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4203
    I like the idea, especially having knackered knees, so any assistance whilst still doing some Cardio is ideal. I miss my old Proflex, Marin and Specialized and indeed bought another Marin to try and get some fitness back but my right knee had other ideas, so I'm seriously  tempted
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2092
    My pal does off road cycling with some people with these...he said they were great at up the hills and was amazed how they managed to power the bike over the rough ground...

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 

• littlegreenman < My tunes here...
  • MtBMtB Frets: 922
    What you trying to say about me - I'm not up to the job? 
    I don't need any outside assistance.!
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I commuted around 20 miles per day on one for 6months last year...
    my initial thoughts (from another thread) 

“I did 14miles today, all over Edinburgh in a variety of traffic conditions, hills & carrying a variety of loads. 
    This used up less than half of one of the two batteries... By this maths I should be able to do about 60 assisted miles in total. Nice. 

I hated it on the way to work. Heavy, slow & boring... But then I thought about the target audience- folk who want cycling to be easier, not faster. So I adjusted my approach to accept this. 
    The riding experience isn't like a "normal" bike. It's about working with the motor to make journeys effortless rather than faster. 
    There's not much point trying to go over 15mph unless you're on a downhill, just pick a comfortable gear & let the bike top up your effort, cruising along with no fuss. 

I kept the bike in "Eco" almost all the time, switching to "normal" on reasonable inclines (and at traffic lights for a good get away). I used "sport" on two particularly steep hills- that REALLY saps the battery- it WAS funny to breeze past a MAMIL on one hill though.  

My intention is to ride the bike for a month or so & then make a more informed decision.”

then the informed decision, just after I’d sold it-
    “Ebikes are heavy. There’s no getting around the weight added by the battery and motor. Once you get them rolling along it’s fine, but hills and stop start stuff are no fun without the motor helping you. They can also feel a bit cumbersome due to the weight. Mine had a front wheel motor and batteries on the rack so the weight distribution was ok but it didn’t feel “chuckable” in corners- I learned to judge my braking distances too! 
    Dont forget that you might need to lift it onto/ off a car rack- not ideal if you’re back isn’t great. It’s also noticeable if you ditch the bike and have to pick it up again. 

an ebike WILL get you fit. You’re still getting exercise but it’s nice to have the option of a wee boost when you’re feeling a bit tired, or to arrive at work without a sweaty back. I was on cycle paths mostly where the 15mph limit was easily achievable, I’d love to try one on a trail where I was always within the range of the motor. 
    My biggest criticism was that the bike was great in the city- the motor made it zippy in the stop start traffic and great into a headwind where I’d be toiling but when i got out of town it felt slow. 

I dont have a car & the ebike was really handy for collecting a big shop (or the kids) and lugging it home with minimal effort too...

I sold mine because I stopped using it- the ebike got me fit enough that I can now do the mileage without the motor & I am MUCH quicker on my cyclocross, it’s more fun too!”

this is obviously just my experience and there are days when I miss the ability to cruise into a headwind/carry a heavy load/pull my kids trailer bike without busting a gut. 

If the motor limiter were set to 20mph I’d definitely get another one- 15mph is slightly too slow for dealing with traffic sometimes & doing over the motor is tough. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9740
    Mrs9000 and I bought a pair of electric assist commuter bikes earlier this year. Brilliant for a short commute or an evening saunter to the local, etc. Range is about 40 assisted miles on one charge. Only downside is that, due to the battery and motor, they are quite heavy - you wouldn’t want to ride them very far without the battery assistance. As others have already said, they make cycling easier rather than faster - by law no electrical assistance is available over 15mph

Other thing is to invest in decent security for when you leave the bike unattended. They’re not cheap.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • ThorpyFX said:
    has anyone here tried one of these bikes? I’m looking at an electric motor assisted MTB, basically as a commuting tool and to ease me back into a physical hobby.

any pros, cons?
    Just get a decent low geared hybrid and get the fitness back more quickly
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11470
    ThorpyFX said:

any pros, cons?

How long is your commute?  How hilly is it?

If it's short and flat, then I'd just get a conventional bike.  If it's long and/or hilly then it might be worth it.

Most ebikes are more hybrid style than MTB.  I suspect they will be lighter than an MTB version.  Unless you really want to go properly off road, a hybrid style might make more sense.

• Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2431
    I got myself a Scott hardtail electric MTB back in April and have put quite a few on- and off-road miles on it since. I still have my non-electric MTB.

The electric MTB is a lot heavier and has fairly wide 2.35 knobbly tyres so is really hard work to pedal with the motor switched off. The Bosch 500 motor has four settings: ECO, Tour, EMTB and Turbo. ECO mode does little more than overcome the weight and rolling resistance of the bike so it feels much like riding a standard bike. The other modes give increasing amounts of assistance. I stress 'assistance' because you still have to put in effort. In Turbo mode you can positively fly up hills but the more assistance you get the less miles you will have for a full charge. It's a balance. The Scott is also quite a bit bigger than my non-assisted bike.

The weight is not an issue when riding but is if you have to, for example, carry it up steps or lift it over a gate. Not all bike racks can carry them either.

Overall it's great fun and rides in hilly terrain are not so daunting for those of us who are not teenagers any more ;) If it's just for commuting I would recommend a hybrid, not an MTB.
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6220
    tFB Trader
    My  plan is initially just for commuting until my fitness improves and I can get back to some downhill MTB action......

thanks for all all the advice here I’m going to go for it! 
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4203
    ThorpyFX said:
    My  plan is initially just for commuting until my fitness improves and I can get back to some downhill MTB action......

Looking forward to seeing it 
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6220
    tFB Trader
    sweepy said:
    ThorpyFX said:

This one..... with an extra 10% off too.....
  • ThorpyFX said:
    sweepy said:
    ThorpyFX said:

This one..... with an extra 10% off too.....
    Really light! ;)
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom