ABY pedal... will this work?

champ222champ222 Frets: 35
Hi All

So i have a number of pedals, distortions, compressor chorus delay etc. i run some in the front, and some in the loop, as you would expect. But i also have two AMT preamp pedals, the S1 and the P1. These AMT pedals work best going directly into the FX loop receive of the amp.bypassing the EQ of the amp.

I tend not to use them, because its a bit of a faff to undo it all and plug them into the loop.

However, if i use an ABY pedal, and use both outputs of the Boss tuner, can i switch them in and out, like this:

So When in "A" mode, the signal get routed through the dotted line, through the AMT pedals, then the "loop pedals" if you like, then into the FX loop receive. The signal would still be going into the front of the amp, but would this matter?

When in "B" mode, the Bypass out of the tuner is connected to nothing, the signal would be routed through the solid line, and input and loop is uneffected.

Thoughts?

Cheers guys 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SnagsSnags Frets: 5407
    I might be being a bit dim here, but based on the above, your pre-amps appear to always be in the circuit.  Isn't the goal to move the S1/P2 in/out of the loop on demand?
  • yes, but i can just switch them off with the footswitch when not in use. They are true bypass.

So i can click the AB pedal to A, and click on whichever preamp i want, then switch to B to use the amp as normal, and switch the preamps off.

Thanks
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72528
    It will work, but as Snags said you need to take the AMT pedals out of the circuit in 'amp' mode - you need to go from the TU-3 bypass to the AMTs, then to the A input of the A/B box.

If you do it as you've shown there is the risk of leaving the AMTs in the signal path when the amp's preamp is in use, which could possibly make the amp unstable if there's a lot of gain set in them.

You could also have the compressor and distortion going into the AMTs if you move the TU-3 to after the distortion, if you want.

It does also assume that the amp has a normal series FX loop and doesn't have some sort of daft passive parallel mixing arrangement like a Mesa...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• yeah thats a fair point, moving the AMTs to the other side of the AB does make sense. yeah the amp has a normal fx loop, although there is no volume control between FX return and the power amp, so you do have to be careful with levels.

Like this: