digital delay advice

What's Hot
champ222champ222 Frets: 35
Hi all, i'm looking for advice on a digital delay pedal.

Normally i would just buy something used, but my family are asking what i'd like for Christmas and my birthday (40th).

i just play at home, and cant see that changing, and i'm just looking for something simple. tap tempo would be nice.

I have a pedal power supply, so one of the mini pedals, or a regular pedals would be fine.

I stumbled across the TC Flashback mini, and thought it looked good. £72 is more than i would pay for me, though i'd buy used as i said, and it has the touch tempo thing rather than the tap tempo. This would probably work. The flashback 2 is only £18 more at £90 though, and would be a better pedal?

Anything else i should look at? £50-£60 would be a nice price.

Thanks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I would go with the canyon EHX

Instagram is Rocknrollismyescape -

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

• I would go with the canyon EHX
    That does look good actually! bit more than i want to spend though. I have a looper already
  • I think that the Flashback is much more than a Mini for not much more cash. Unless there is a very specific delay tone you want to use the Mini for, I think FB2 is worth the upgrade.
    I like the Digitech Obscura, for a different take and not too much money.
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1510
    Yeah for a good value delay, you can't beat the Obscura IMO.
  • the Obscura does look interesting... it says 
    • 4 delay types; analog, tape, lo-fi and reverse
    Does it also just do regular digital delay? crisp and clean?

thanks
  • IIRC the Flashback 2 needs an additional footswitch for tap tempo. It's certainly good value at the moment.
    (Googles...) tc recommend the MXR M199 which is an extra £42 although I'm sure cheaper options are available. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • IIRC the Flashback 2 needs an additional footswitch for tap tempo. It's certainly good value at the moment.
    (Googles...) tc recommend the MXR M199 which is an extra £42 although I'm sure cheaper options are available. 
    The flashback does have the "touch tempo" which it pics up through the strings (plam muting to set the tempo) rather than a foot switch. there seems to be mixed opinions on this
  • Second hand Boss DD-7 - a few delay modes, built in tap tempo, expression in and it's built like a tank.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • champ222 said:
    IIRC the Flashback 2 needs an additional footswitch for tap tempo. It's certainly good value at the moment.
    The flashback does have the "touch tempo" which it pics up through the strings (plam muting to set the tempo) rather than a foot switch. there seems to be mixed opinions on this
    actually... maybe it doesnt. the mini does, and maybe the first flashback did, but there is no mention of the touch tempo for the flashback 2, only via the external footswitch as you say
  • champ222 said:
    IIRC the Flashback 2 needs an additional footswitch for tap tempo. It's certainly good value at the moment.

There are several reviews online saying the 2 doesn't have audio tapping even though it says it does in some of the information on websites ( I've had a quick look at the manual, no obvious mention of it in there). To use an external tap you also have to use the online editor and change the purpose of that socket.
    I don't own one so I could well be wrong but I think the tapping feature was only in the earlier version. 
  • jpttaylor said:
    Second hand Boss DD-7 - a few delay modes, built in tap tempo, expression in and it's built like a tank.
    thats not a bad shout.. i'd have to buy it myself if i went second hand
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28603
    No tap tempo, no fancy modes, but the Guyatone MD3 is ace. Just clean basic repeats, but you can also turn the feedback way up and the time down low for some really odd "chattery" sounds.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • nonesuchnonesuch Frets: 308
    The Flashback 2 is a great delay, but it doesn't have tap tempo. You need an external switch - I got Bright Onion Pedals to make me one for £25.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Gear4Music have a deal on the Keeley multi echo at the moment. Digital delay and a bunch of other stuff, although back to no tap.
  • champ222 said:

There are several reviews online saying the 2 doesn't have audio tapping even though it says it does in some of the information on websites ( I've had a quick look at the manual, no obvious mention of it in there). To use an external tap you also have to use the online editor and change the purpose of that socket.
    I don't own one so I could well be wrong but I think the tapping feature was only in the earlier version. 
    i think you're right... the flashback 2 doesnt have the audio tapping. but it has this mash feature, although i need to watch some videos to see if that is going to be something i'd use. 

The Flashback mini might be the way to go. it has the audio tapping, but it can only do one delay sound one sound at once and you have to send it a new sound mode via the app each time you want to change it. I'd likely find one i like and just leave it anyway to be honest.

hmmm....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • There is the RayGunFX Aurora V2 which is a Digital chip, PT2399, a lofi delay chip, it doesn't do a clean delay....higher end, RaingerFX EcHo-X.
    We are a UK based, family run company retailing guitar effects pedals and accessories online. 
    https://www.breakthemachine.co.uk  connect@breakthemachine.co.uk
  • The NuX Core series delays are actually rather good, and pack in a lot of goodies for not much money.  I've got the Space Echo-y one (Tape Core Deluxe), but the Time Core Deluxe (the orange one) comes in the same form factor, uses the same hold-to-tap functionality, and has a straight digital delay mode.  Ticks all your boxes, and you see 'em in £60-70-ish range on eBay a lot....in fact, just checked and bax-shop are doing them for £55 right now.
    New fangled trading feedback link right here!
  • Thanks. I was looking at a nux timer earlier, saw the time core too. Ill check those out
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    The NuX Core series delays are actually rather good, and pack in a lot of goodies for not much money.  I've got the Space Echo-y one (Tape Core Deluxe), but the Time Core Deluxe (the orange one) comes in the same form factor, uses the same hold-to-tap functionality, and has a straight digital delay mode.  Ticks all your boxes, and you see 'em in £60-70-ish range on eBay a lot....in fact, just checked and bax-shop are doing them for £55 right now.
    The orange TimeCore is very good. I'm sure I saw one on Ebay for about 35 quid recently.

Used Boss DD-7 (or DD-6) is a good option in the >£60 area.