Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Bob Dylan and Neil Young co-headline UK festival

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72646
    Great. One who can't sing and another who can't play a guitar!
    But the one who can't play guitar is one of the greatest songwriters ever, and the one who can't sing is one of the greatest guitarists ever, so it balances out quite well :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12422
    The last couple of days I've read a lot of pink floyd, bob dylan and neil young are rubbish.

Some people have some astonishingly high standards!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • They're both good songwriters, and neither is a particularly good guitarist but at least Dylan never tried (AFAIK) playing solos.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    They're both good songwriters, and neither is a particularly good guitarist but at least Dylan never tried (AFAIK) playing solos.
    Young isn't a good guitarist - he's a *great* guitarist. Not technically - but in terms of being able to channel pure emotion and feeling in a way I've never seen from any other player. It's true that he doesn't always get it right... but when he does it can be a remarkable experience. I saw him on the last tour he did with Crazy Horse and it was the best live performance from any guitarist I've ever seen, either actually live or on video.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom
  • camfcamf Frets: 1191
    100% with @ICBM on this one. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31663
    munckee said:
    The last couple of days I've read a lot of pink floyd, bob dylan and neil young are rubbish.

Some people have some astonishingly high standards!
    They're incredibly influential and music in general would be vastly poorer without them, but in Dylan's case in particular you're paying to see someone who hates you, wishes he and you weren't there, and who will mumble his way through a set so terrible that the highest praise you hear from even the most diehard fans is "well I'm glad I finally got to see him".

I love Neil Young's guitar playing too, but he really is a terrible singer in my (subjective) opinion. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    p90fool said:

I love Neil Young's guitar playing too, but he really is a terrible singer in my (subjective) opinion. 
    I like his singing - mostly - but I do actually agree! I love his songwriting - also mostly - and his voice is just something that goes with it. On the other hand he can also be very expressive and emotive with it too. To me he's the perfect example of where the emotive power of music trumps any consideration of technical quality. I also love that he sometimes gets it wrong, and doesn't seem to care - I say 'mostly' because there are some of his songs I really don't like, but like everything else about him it doesn't stop me loving the ones I do. Imperfection isn't a bad thing.

For what it's worth, I might be in a tiny minority in thinking that Dylan *can* sing too - I think it's more the odd nasal tone of his voice that makes it sound like he can't and grates for so many people, but his pitching and phrasing is OK... at least on record, I've never seen him live and I've heard enough bad reports that I'm not sure I would pay to.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • You'd think two artists with their back catalogues would be able to put on an incredible show. Unfortunately neither seems interested in playing the tunes we all want to hear. That was my experience seeing Neil Young a few years ago anyway. Reminds me also of the time I saw Lou Reed at the Isle of Wight festival - he got Coldplay to cover Perfect Day for him.

Being the idiot I am, I'll probably buy tickets anyway in the hope they do bring out the hits.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6399
    Was gagging for tickets yesterday, but the thought of 2 croaky old gits for 3+ hrs has changed my mind !
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • cgumtree said:
    You'd think two artists with their back catalogues would be able to put on an incredible show. Unfortunately neither seems interested in playing the tunes we all want to hear. That was my experience seeing Neil Young a few years ago anyway. Reminds me also of the time I saw Lou Reed at the Isle of Wight festival - he got Coldplay to cover Perfect Day for him.

Being the idiot I am, I'll probably buy tickets anyway in the hope they do bring out the hits.

I saw Neil Young in Hyde Park in 2009, it was stunningly good and I'm glad I got to see him play once in my life and will do for me. He played all you could want, I mean look at the setlist!  (And Paul McCartney joined him for a Day in The Life).

Hey Hey, My My (Into The Black) / Mansion On The Hill / Are You Ready For The Country? / Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere / Spirit Road / Words / Cinnamon Girl / F*!#in' Up / Mother Earth (Natural Anthem) / The Needle And The Damage Done / Comes A Time / Unknown Legend / Heart Of Gold / Old Man / Down By The River / Get Behind The Wheel / Rockin' In The Free World // A Day In The Life

I have no interest at all in seeing Bob Dylan.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Some interesting remarks.

The whole music dodge for me has always been a lived experience, either making it, listening to it, seeing other people play their thing et al. It has never been a comfortable experience, and apart from the very early days, has had little to do with the demands to be entertained. 

I appreciate the people up on that stage are just people - that's what makes them most interesting to me. 

I've seen Dylan multiple times, lastly mumbling his way through numbers I barely recognised, didn't give a shite personally, too busy dancing with me Missus, and bringing my own thing to the party. 

Dylan has said enough in his lifetimes work to keep me busy for several of my own, he's earned the right in my eyes to get old and a bit fed up, as have I. I identify with his going through the motions persona. 

Neil Young has always been a bit of a nowty bastid, that's why I like him so much too. 

Bottom line, if you fancy it, go. If you don't, don't. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • goatgoat Frets: 98
    Neil is a monster. Maybe the greatest of all time in my opinion. Last saw him in 2016 and he still had plenty of energy and put on a powerful show.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8540
    p90fool said:
    JerkMoans said:
    Imagine the obligatory duet would sound like men delivering a skip.
    Definitely. They are possibly the two most pisstakingly bad performers I can think of - if they were busking in the street the police would be called within minutes. 
    You’re kidding right? Can only speak of Young, but the live version on Cortez the Killer from Weld is an epic performance, one my favs, as is the whole album to be honest. Oh well, I guess we can’t be friends after all.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1533
    SPOILER.
    Apparently Dylan sings forever young while Neil Bangs Daryl on stage.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4674
    edited November 2018
    ICBM said:
    They're both good songwriters, and neither is a particularly good guitarist but at least Dylan never tried (AFAIK) playing solos.
    Young isn't a good guitarist - he's a *great* guitarist. Not technically - but in terms of being able to channel pure emotion and feeling in a way I've never seen from any other player. It's true that he doesn't always get it right... but when he does it can be a remarkable experience. I saw him on the last tour he did with Crazy Horse and it was the best live performance from any guitarist I've ever seen, either actually live or on video.
    This 
    i was lucky enough to see him on that tour ( and the one after with Promise of the Real?) and he was fucking awesome 

Im currently sat at my desk listening to  Cortez the Killer ,  the live version from Weld and its tremendous 
  • teradaterada Frets: 5114
    cgumtree said:
    You'd think two artists with their back catalogues would be able to put on an incredible show. Unfortunately neither seems interested in playing the tunes we all want to hear. That was my experience seeing Neil Young a few years ago anyway. Reminds me also of the time I saw Lou Reed at the Isle of Wight festival - he got Coldplay to cover Perfect Day for him.

I saw Neil Young in Hyde Park in 2009, it was stunningly good and I'm glad I got to see him play once in my life and will do for me. He played all you could want, I mean look at the setlist!  (And Paul McCartney joined him for a Day in The Life).

Hey Hey, My My (Into The Black) / Mansion On The Hill / Are You Ready For The Country? / Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere / Spirit Road / Words / Cinnamon Girl / F*!#in' Up / Mother Earth (Natural Anthem) / The Needle And The Damage Done / Comes A Time / Unknown Legend / Heart Of Gold / Old Man / Down By The River / Get Behind The Wheel / Rockin' In The Free World // A Day In The Life

I have no interest at all in seeing Bob Dylan.

If he plays those I’ll be ecstatic 
    dindude said:
    p90fool said:
    JerkMoans said:
    Definitely. They are possibly the two most pisstakingly bad performers I can think of - if they were busking in the street the police would be called within minutes. 
    You’re kidding right? Can only speak of Young, but the live version on Cortez the Killer from Weld is an epic performance, one my favs, as is the whole album to be honest. Oh well, I guess we can’t be friends after all.
    Lol, you do know that Weld was twenty seven years ago? 
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8540
    p90fool said:
    dindude said:
    p90fool said:
    JerkMoans said:

Indeed, but your hatred had no specific time constraints as far as I'm aware.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    I saw them both in the 80s. Neil was great and I’m glad I got to see him. Dylan veered between awful and awesome.
    I would have liked to have seen Neil again, but most likely won’t. Both have done so much great stuff. My niece is going, as it happens. She is a massive Neil Young fan. 
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

dindude said:
    p90fool said:
    dindude said:
    p90fool said:
    JerkMoans said:

Indeed, but your hatred had no specific time constraints as far as I'm aware.
    Lol no hatred from me, I love them both as artists. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom