Charvel Guthrie Govan - value for money against my Tremonti?

What's Hot
StefBStefB Frets: 2359
edited November 2018 in Guitar

I'm interested in trading my 2017 USA Core Tremonti for a used Charvel GG that one of the high end shops have in stock, and they'd want £400 off me plus the PRS.

I fully realise they have overheads, VAT etc etc and have no issue whatsoever with that, but I can't help but wonder if the Charvel is £400 'better' than the PRS in the cold light of day.  I know only I can make the decision, but what do you think? 

I expect the build process and materials involved in building the PRS would be more expensive than a bolt-on guitar made in the same country.

For context the Charvel is for sale at £1,999 and my Tremonti is totally as new with all candy etc...

http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/j437/stefbillington/01_zpss2fyjmsh.jpg

http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/j437/stefbillington/02_zpsi0fa0nif.jpg

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006
    Nice photography !

i think the standard response here is that you’re always better off selling your guitar privately and doing a cash deal on the new one 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28341
    DrBob said:
    Nice photography !

i think the standard response here is that you’re always better off selling your guitar privately and doing a cash deal on the new one 
    Have to agree. Shops rarely give a good deal, they just happen to be convenient as you can cut out all that selling pain. I've done a couple of shop trades in the past just to save aggro. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7159
    Horses for courses. Both decent guitars, as stated above sell privately for a better deal.
    Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 
  • That doesn’t sound like a good deal, but they always need to make money both off your deal and the sale of guitar you trade in. I guess there is a risk you may lose out but selling privately is the way to go

Personally, I would make sure you try the GG first, the one I tried played terribly and had terrible build quality, not befitting a guitar costing c.£2.5k new, a shame as based on spec i really wanted to love it. 
  • That doesn’t sound like a good deal, but they always need to make money both off your deal and the sale of guitar you trade in. I guess there is a risk you may lose out but selling privately is the way to go

Personally, I would make sure you try the GG first, the one I tried played terribly and had terrible build quality, not befitting a guitar costing c.£2.5k new, a shame as based on spec i really wanted to love it. 
    I had the same experience with a Charvel GG - tried it out very eager to fall in love, and really didn't find it to a be a very insprigin or well-made guitar (versus comparable Suhrs etc.)
  • I hated the GG Charvel. Horrible string tension. Bridge humbucker was nice

the Suhr GG was a miles better guitar 
  • Is that Faded Whale Blue? 

My band - Crimson on Silver  For sale - Blackstar HT-5S

Gear - Guitars, amps, effects and shizz. Edited for Phil_aka_Pip, who is allergic to big long lists.

• I'd give my balls for that PRS. Both of them.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • StefBStefB Frets: 2359
    Is that Faded Whale Blue? 

Yep.
  • StefB said:
    Is that Faded Whale Blue? 

Yep.
    Very nice. I had a 10 top grey/black Tremonti from 2013 until a few months ago, traded it for a 10 top P22 in Eriza Verde. As much as I like the P22, I do miss the Tremonti. If I had any spare funds I'd be all over your Tremonti like the proverbial rash. 

My band - Crimson on Silver  For sale - Blackstar HT-5S

Gear - Guitars, amps, effects and shizz. Edited for Phil_aka_Pip, who is allergic to big long lists.

• i prefer the Tremonti by a mile, but that's just personal preference, i've never played a Charvel GG.

Play the Charvel, if it's amazing and you have to have it make the deal, anything less and walk away

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • markr76markr76 Frets: 360
    Why not try out a Patrick James Eggle 96 if you're after a super strat style guitar. World guitars or peach are both dealers. I love mine. Although I bought mine direct from Patrick, which allowed me to spec up my own guitar.
    I do really like the Tremonti model PRS's though. 
    Two of the signature models I really lusted after were the Music Man L3 and the Guthrie Charvel. I found them both underwhelming. My 96 runs circles round them. If I'm being honest most PRS's I've tried I've thought were a bit sterile. Very well made and lovely to look at but sterile. My 96 and all the other Eggle models I've played have had bags of character and are some of the most resonant guitars I've played. Feel like the whole guitar is alive in your hands when playing.

Here's mine.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/157183221@N05/3NLpo9

https://www.flickr.com/gp/157183221@N05/D78EG5

https://www.flickr.com/gp/157183221@N05/aJ7Mr3

• OnparOnpar Frets: 417
    Woah that 96 looks amazing!!!
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    @Moltisanti is right on the money here:
    Play the Charvel, if it's amazing and you have to have it make the deal, anything less and walk away
    I think the deal you've been offered stinks from your perspective. That's business, though.
  • I have two Charvel GGs and love them. I’m a Strat guy so they are as far as I would go to getting a superstrat. Personally, the neck profile and size is the best I have played. The bridge pickup is excellent, especially with the single coil emulation. There are things I would change but that’s just personal preference. They are a very versatile guitar.
    My Trading Feedback Link is here i_b_tulloch

• DanRDanR Frets: 1041
    I’ve owned a couple of Eggles and thought they were boring and not that much fun to play but they were pretty.

Ive also owned a few Charvels inc a GG from the first run and they were so much better than the Eggle but they did vary in quality.

Id rather a soulless PRS over any of them.