Shops that weigh their guitars

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• hyperbenhyperben Frets: 1425
    edited November 2018
    terada said:
    you can get lightweight ones. My R9 is under 8lb unchambered. I think there was a time a number of years back when Gibson made some chambered historic that were silly light (around 7lbs). Perhaps have a look for one of those?

Otherwise I believe the les Paul axcess was pretty light too.
    Yes there are. They call them cloud 9 reissues I think. Serial numbers start C****. They come up on eBay from time to time. The chambering is done differently from the standard USA range.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11629
    tFB Trader
    We weigh the guitars we make and try to make our guitars quite light
    This one is under 7lbs
    It can be found in our Black Friday sale here: https://reverb.com/item/16652675-undefined

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14366
    tFB Trader
    Can't find the info now, so unsure if this is fact or myth - Didn't Billy Gibbons and Steve Miller have custom built guitars that are ultra light weight - Almost chambered/hollowed out throughout - Both have bad backs and need these light weight models for stage work - Sure I heard it somewhere in the past
  • dbphotodbphoto Frets: 716
    My Les Paul BFG is 7lbs 7oz (ultra modern weight relief apparently)

I might be listing it for sale on here soon as my R8 is getting all the attention ;-)
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23072
    Can't find the info now, so unsure if this is fact or myth - Didn't Billy Gibbons and Steve Miller have custom built guitars that are ultra light weight - Almost chambered/hollowed out throughout - Both have bad backs and need these light weight models for stage work - Sure I heard it somewhere in the past
    Ed King (RIP) formerly of Lynyrd Skynyrd certainly played a chambered Les Paul in recent years, and I think Randy Bachman uses them too.

I've got one, looks exactly like an R8 but only weighs 7lbs.

We weigh the guitars we make and try to make our guitars quite light
    This one is under 7lbs
    It can be found in our Black Friday sale here: https://reverb.com/item/16652675-undefined

That looks great! 

Presumably the weight of the neck, pickups and hardware is fairly consistent and easy to determine, so if a Lion/LP style guitar is going to weigh, say, 8lbs, how much would the body alone weigh?
  • If you're looking for a Gibson, and want something nice, try a CS336 /356. Both made in the custom shop, both pretty close to a Les Paul tone wise and both very light on the back and shoulder. They come up S/H at decent prices and were very well made.
  • We weigh the guitars we make and try to make our guitars quite light
    This one is under 7lbs

Very nice. If I didn't already have a very similarly specced Gibson Axcess (6100s, Mules) I'd be VERY tempted by this.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1133
    edited November 2018
    this is true it's in a rig rundown with his tech, Gibbons even has the necks hollowed out!!!

11 lbs for a LP is ridiculous, you can find a sub 9lber no problem.

For reference my SG weighs 6 lbs and I always thought i'd hate playing them standing up, but much to my surprise they are supremely comfy. Less thump than a LP, but still plenty of snarl.

if i was after an Evertune singlecut it'd be one of these 

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14366
    tFB Trader
    this is true it's in a rig rundown with his tech, Gibbons even has the necks hollowed out!!!

Glad you supported that quote - I also heard the neck was 'chambered'

Obviously not an issue in the studio, when sat down but for live work then it becomes an essential requirement for some - I recall less than 6lbs
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10894
    crunchman said:
    SGs and Flying Vs are in your future - super light and super badass
    SG isn’t a bad shout actually! Plenty of those I could try in person.

Flying Vs I’m not sure about, if I wanted a ‘shape’ guitar I’d go explorer but I’m not so sure on the typical weight.

SG geometry might not be helpful.  Because the neck joins the body much higher up, it puts your left hand further away for open position chords.  I ended up selling my SG.

If you want that style of guitar, some of the all mahogany PRS like the Mira might be a better bet.  If you can find a light one, some of their S2 or SE Singlecuts can be quite light.

I don't know what you are playing at the moment, but if it's a Les Paul, then an ES Les Paul is well worth a look.  It doesn't have the spiky sound of some of the all mahogany guitars like an SG.

If you are into Fender style guitars then you can find Teles and Strats that are quite light - Teles more so than Strats though.  The bridge and trem assembly on the Strat add a bit of weight.

The reverend sensei is based on the SG, fatter body and supposedly better balancing. Never tried one but they look pretty badass if that's what you're into