Orange TH30 users (to be used with single coils)

BintyTwanger77BintyTwanger77 Frets: 2236
edited November 2018 in Amps
Very close to going for a TH30 combo, as there is a very good deal on them currently in a certain large guitar retailer.

I have used Fender/Fenderish amps up until now with single coils, but just wondering if anyone has one of these and how they find it with single coil pickups? I'd be using it with a Marr Jaguar. Yes, I most definitely will be.

I've heard good things about the clean channel, and getting my drive from the amp is something I am looking for, along with a decent FX loop (which the TH30 has). Don't mind about it not having reverb, I can add a pedal. The other main selling point is that it can be scaled down to 15W and 7W, so I could use it for home practice... unless any (ex-)users think the TH30 is too loud for that even at low wattage?

At this price point, it looks like a really good deal, but just wanted to put this to the internet, as the internet is full of reasonable balanced people who can debate even matters of subjective taste courteously and without resorting to insults. You bastards.

All advice gratefully received. Ta.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I'm not sure it would be the tool of choice for your needs. The clean channel is crystal clean all the way up to bowel-wobbling volume levels. The dirty channel is pure filth and not in dumble territory ;o)

Also, the power reduction capability doesn't make all that much difference to perceived volume. It's a bit of a struggle to get it to do bedroom volume, since the volume seems to go from nothing to all the volume in 0.01nanometres of the dial.

That said, I have the head version and absolutely love it. I'm not sure you will though.
  • I'm not sure it would be the tool of choice for your needs. The clean channel is crystal clean all the way up to bowel-wobbling volume levels. The dirty channel is pure filth and not in dumble territory ;o)

Also, the power reduction capability doesn't make all that much difference to perceived volume. It's a bit of a struggle to get it to do bedroom volume, since the volume seems to go from nothing to all the volume in 0.01nanometres of the dial.

That said, I have the head version and absolutely love it. I'm not sure you will though.
    Why don’t you think I’ll like it and that it won’t suit my needs? I’m willing to try something other than Fender cleans, and very much up for a lot of filth. I’ve heard good things about the TH30 clean channel, and good to hear it has the headroom. Did you mean more that it’s difficult to get reasonable sounds at lower neighbour-friendly volumes?
  • kennedydream1980kennedydream1980 Frets: 1157
    edited November 2018
    I had the TH30 head a good few years ago. I really liked it to be honest. I was using it with the open back orange 2x12 cab.

As already stated the Clean channel is very clean all the way up and the dirty channel has bags of gain on tap. I think a lot of people could find the dirty channel dark. I really liked the tone of the dirty channel playing alone, but live once the band kicked in it was difficult to hear on stage. However listening back to live recordings it was some of the best tone I’ve ever had.

I would agree that it is hard to tame it for lower volume playing. The taper on the clean volume control especially is very unforgiving. It goes from off to loud very quickly. That’s even on the lowest power settings.

Anyway I found this demo gives a very good representation of how the amp sounds.

https://youtu.be/QgX-jpWQtxU
  • Estrons guitarist uses th30 and a strat, have a listen to some of their stuff.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9737
    If you want Orange tones then how about the Crush Pro CR60C? Has that distinctive Orange 'breathy' sound but can be turned right down to bedroom volumes. Clean channel goes from pretty clean to a mild crunch. Dirty channel goes from mild crunch to more filth than you're ever likely to use.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • I had the TH30 head a good few years ago. I really liked it to be honest. I was using it with the open back orange 2x12 cab.

As already stated the Clean channel is very clean all the way up and the dirty channel has bags of gain on tap. I think a lot of people could find the dirty channel dark. I really liked the tone of the dirty channel playing alone, but live once the band kicked in it was difficult to hear on stage. However listening back to live recordings it was some of the best tone I’ve ever had.

I would agree that it is hard to tame it for lower volume playing. The taper on the clean volume control especially is very unforgiving. It goes from off to loud very quickly. That’s even on the lowest power settings.

Anyway I found this demo gives a very good representation of how the amp sounds.

https://youtu.be/QgX-jpWQtxU
    Wondering if the volume taper could be modded? I’ve heard that’s a common mod for HRDs.
  • LogieLogie Frets: 444
    I've had a few Orange amps including the Rocker 30, Tiny Terror, Dual Terror and TH30 combo. All great amps but the TH30 was the standout. Fantastic cleans and the overdrive channel has all the gain you'll need for any  rock genre. Took pedals well through the front but I never used the loop. My Strat sounded great through it, especially the neck and neck/mid positions. Good eq as well. I think I picked it up for £380 used and got that back when I sold it. Great amps.
  • Sorry, I may have misunderstood - I thought you meant you wanted a clean channel that could be used for crunch without adding a pedal...the TH30 wouldn't be great for that.

On the volume taper - I did get round this by sticking a pedal with a volume control (in my case an Award Session solo booster, which rather than being a booster is actually just a foot switchable volume pot) in the fx loop and turned that way down - that made it much more controllable.