Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Ibanez and Bullying

What's Hot
1235»

Comments

• AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    Genuine question - is it pronounced I-ban-yez or Ibun-yez? I’ve heard it said both ways.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22952
    AlexC said:
    Genuine question - is it pronounced I-ban-yez or Ibun-yez? I’ve heard it said both ways.
    It usually seems to be Eye-Ban-Ez.  I've never heard anyone give it the "Angela Rippon names a Spanish politician" treatment.
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    edited January 2019
    To the OP: Much of what I'd say has been said, but your experience reminds me of how I was treated by "alternative/indie/trendy" types in the 90s, and the disdain they showed for the metal/rock I listened to and played. Hardly any of us could afford Ibanezes back then, but I'm pretty sure my mate-at-the-time's Jackson Dinky Reverse drew similar disparaging remarks from the too-cool-for-school Smashing Pumpkins/Nirvana lot. Thing is, my metal mates and I liked all "their" music too. We jammed Oasis and Blur at rehearsal in between our set of Metallica/Sepultura/Pantera/our own attempts at similar. And of course we'd learnt on Nirvana tunes. Everyone had, I think.
    There's a lot to be said for presenting the right image when playing music, I too would be interested to hear what "scene" this was in. A JEM might not be appropriate for a Wedding Present-style gig, but if it's all you have.... I've heard great country licks on toothpick-necked shred machines, but if the bassist is using an upright, and the punters no longer have their own hair/teeth, is a dayglo guitar still the best choice?

As a long-standing Ibanez user, I do feel I have to say that the OEM pickups are very often changed by lots of players. The most recent Prestige guitars have shown that the firm knows this, so they only come with DiMarzios/Bare Knuckle/EMG because that's what customers generally want.

@AlexC Depends, really. Hoshino Gakki bought the brand from Spain 'cause they wanted a credible link to guitar history, so it was originally Eee-ban-eth [FastShow] eth-eth-eth-eth-eth, stinky pinky, @Minky_Monkey Chris Waddle...[/FastShow]

I've always gone with Eye-ban-ez, which is how the high-profile endorsers (Vai, Satch, Gilbert, etc.) say it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72418
    Eye-Ban-Ez.

As DLM said, despite the original source of the name it's a Japanese company and that's how they pronounce it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    Cheers, guys. Now I know!
  • joetelejoetele Frets: 951
    I'm getting an Ibanez for Christmas and I can't fucking wait. Plays beautifully, sounds incredible, looks the business. And I'm normally a Tele man. 
    MUSIC: Pale Blurs
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6393
    re:OP - detractors are talking bollocks.  Ibanez make good stuff, full stop.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • SarSar Frets: 4
    Wasn't expecting this many replies, but I've read every single comment, happy to hear your points.
    I personally feel that if there's been problems is more likely depending from my playing. For example, the Floyd rose might have been complicating the setting up of my guitar. But this really would be no Ibanez fault. Paying attention I notice the Floyd moving if I press the strings too hard or when I do palm mute. I don't know if this is normal, but might cause the guitar going slightly out of tune while playing.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14465
    Leaning on any floating vibrato bridge risks sending the strings sharp. So does squeezing down excessively firmly on the strings with your fretting hand. 

Additionally, some of the Ibanez Wizard necks are extraordinarily slender. It takes little effort to flex these necks. This sends the strings flat.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • You can check the tremolo system is setup correctly with a tuner. Setup correctly normally a dive will come back to pitch perfectly. A pull up might be slightly out on the tuner on return by a few cents (although it should not be noticeable by ear) - you can then do a slight dip to get it back into tune exactly.

For palm muting you only need to gently rest your palm on the bridge - any tremolo system will move if you apply more pressure. It is the same as fretting notes you really only need to press down enough to make the note or chord sound clean - anything more will just make your hands tire faster.
  • clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    "I'm an entertainer first and a singer second" - Tina Turner.

I'm not defending dickheads in rehearsals or studio work, you bring the best tools you've got.

But Mumford & Sons live would just look wrong if one of them was playing a Jem.

You're on stage, people have paid their money, expect to see banjos, they need to leave happy or they won't be back.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72418
    clarkefan said:

But Mumford & Sons live would probably be less dull if one of them was playing a Jem.
    FTFY

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    ICBM said:
    clarkefan said:

But Mumford & Sons live would probably be less dull if one of them was playing a Jem.
    FTFY
    Thank you, I cannot stand that er band :)
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11792
    clarkefan said:
    ICBM said:
    clarkefan said:

FTFY
    Thank you, I cannot stand that er band :)
    Never been a fan either, but I did get a good joke out of them once.

We had this rather highly strung designer working in our office who WAS a fan, and he was in the office moaning loudly abut getting stuck in traffic and being late for the Mumford's gig he was attending.

"Did they wait for you?" I said...
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I got an Ibanez AZ224F (brown sunburst) a while back, after sorting out an initial fault with the electrics (dud pcb track on the DPDT dynamix toggle switch) it's great.  I had a JEM and RG550 back in the day (with the thin necks, particularly to RG550) and the neck is closer to the hand filling profile,it's really nice to play with the oil finish and stainless steel frets and an alternative to the usual USA HSS Strats I've used in a busy covers band.  The trem is OK floating but needs to usual setup to balance.  
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    Unfortunately you get people who are dickheads in all walks of life. Enjoy your guitar and just be you. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • I've had the Chinese made AS93 and AF75T, both excellent guitars for the money. I couldn't really get on with the AF75T but the AS93 was the one I let get away for not a lot of money, and I'd probably buy Ibanez again for a semi hollow, as I'd be in the market for a low to mid range semi hollow. I know Ibanez make high end ones too..
    The talman looks really cool, though I can't justify having one! I'd probably get it over a tele if I needed a t style guitar.