Does anyone know anything about these "overdrive pedals"?

What's Hot
brojanglesbrojangles Frets: 362
Is there a Boss-sized or smaller OD that will do more or less what my Boss OD3 does without making my guitar sound a bit muffled?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Have a listen to Magnetic Effects Sändare which they describe as a "dynamic, low to medium gain Overdrive and Booster that retains the tonal characteristics of your guitar and amp."
    We are a UK based, family run company retailing guitar effects pedals and accessories online. 
    https://www.breakthemachine.co.uk  connect@breakthemachine.co.uk
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    Boss OD 2.
  • Mark1960Mark1960 Frets: 326
    Digitec Screaming Blues - Cheap but Cheerful
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 610
    Barber Gain Changer 
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2332
    Is there a Boss-sized or smaller OD that will do more or less what my Boss OD3 does without making my guitar sound a bit muffled?
    i dont think the OD3 makes  guitar sound muffled tbh.   what settings are you using?
  • StefBStefB Frets: 2356

I was reading reviews yesterday of the Boss OD-1X that suggested it sounded like a 'better' OD-3, with the 'blanket taken off the speakers'.  I love my OD-3, but am keen to try an OD-1X.
  • The OD3 is quite a compressed sort of overdrive, is that what you mean by "muffled"?

If so I find that the Blues Driver is a much more 'open' sounding overdrive. It does get a bit grainy at higher gain levels, which some people like and others don't.  If you ve got the cash, the Waza Blues Driver is a nice upgrade on the standard one.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • @thomasw88: gain at 9 or 10 o'clock, tone at 1 or 2 o'clock, volume at just above unity. Jaguar into a Princeton. 

It sounds like there's a loss of clarity somehow, to me. It might be just be an artefact of OD in general: I usually play clean and maybe my ears are just used to that. But I see people obsessing about 'transparency' and it gets me wondering if I'd be happier with something with more clean signal mixed in, like the Way Huge Saucy Box, only that's too big to take a Boss-sized space on my board.
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9671
    edited November 2018

If a Boss OD-3 is making a Jaguar into a Princeton sound muffled I would be checking that the pedal isn't broken!

I agree with @Flanging_Fred, a BD-2 is worth trying if you can though.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

• Nobels ODR-1, not too dissimilar and quite transparent.

Juansolo Enchanter for the very transparent if required
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30939
    Timmy or Wamper Tumnus or Euphoria.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4043

Nobels ODR-1, not too dissimilar and quite transparent.

Agreed.  And there's a mini version which came out recently. 
  • Does your amp cope with bass end well ?   If so any of the full range of types should work well ie Timmy ; BD2  or clones - would  definitely consider something with a bass control though just in case .