Speaker advice

What's Hot
ToonToon Frets: 57
Just got me a second 1936 cab for the JTM45. New one has 2 x Greenbacks and other one has 2 x V30's.
I'm looking to swap out the V30's for G12-65 Heritages which should work better with the Greenbacks.

QUESTION - Should I mix the speakers to have 1 x G12M and 1 x G12-65 Heritage in each cab or leave them as 2 of each?

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-CjSGkpt/0/ff166b53/L/i-CjSGkpt-L.jpg

I am not young enough to know everything

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72378
    Two of each. There's not much point mixing a 25W speaker with a 65W speaker in the same cab because the result is still a 50W cab. If you put both the 65s in one cab it's a 130W cab, which might be useful.

At least, assuming there isn't some specific voicing reason for mixing the two types - for me there isn't a lot of point in mixing a Greenback with a G12-65, they're both in the same ballpark and you won't get a lot of benefit.

If you want to mix speakers to get a bigger sound than the Greenbacks from each cab I would use G12H-30s.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ToonToon Frets: 57
    Y'know what?.....I just had a first blast with the greenbacks and loved them. I'll buy 2 more for the second cab and keep things nice and simple. Love the sound with the JTM45

I am not young enough to know everything

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Nice set up. That's pretty much what I used for years, what's really handy is you can put a cab either side of the drummer in small pub gigs and get a nice big sound. I'd go for getting used greenbacks, they just sound much better when they are broken in.
    Toon said:
    Y'know what?.....I just had a first blast with the greenbacks and loved them. I'll buy 2 more for the second cab and keep things nice and simple. Love the sound with the JTM45
    I would still recommend G12H-30s. The mix with Greenbacks - either in the same cab, or not - is outstanding.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Toon said:
    If you like the one then something similar like the G12h30 might compliment it. Big fan of greenbacks in JTMs - shapes and subdues that mental bass output!!
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    @Toon ;are there any deals to be had on Greenbacks at the mo??
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    I am a fan of mixing speakers too and have gone by ear. However, I have been told that following the speaker sensitivity is important for a balanced output. Think of it as a choir. Hmmm, I wonder how four different speakers would sound instead of my 2. 
    lukedlb said:

I am a fan of mixing speakers too and have gone by ear. However, I have been told that following the speaker sensitivity is important for a balanced output.
    Up to a point - but it depends on the voicings as well. More middy speakers sound louder, and cleaner ones quieter, than their ratings would suggest - and the more different the voicings, the less a mismatch matters. A Greenback (98dB, middy and slightly fuzzy) and a G12H-30 (100dB, deeper and clearer) sound exactly the same volume in a cab.

Other apparently mismatched combinations that work perfectly are the G12-65 and G12-80, the two different Creambacks (G12M-65 & G12H-75), and most surprisingly the V30 & G12T-75, where the more middy speaker is also louder - but the voicing difference is so big that you can still hear both speakers properly.

But you do need to try any combination to know for sure if it will work - some don’t even when you think it should... I tried a Creamback 65 with a Classic Lead 80 and it just sounded wrong, despite the 80 being roughly similar to the Creamback 75.

• zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    Toon said:
    Great isn't it, I have a 4x12 loaded with greenbacks that I use with my JTM45 and it is fantastic, works well with that bass heavy amp.
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    I wouldn't ask John Bercow anything...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>