Suhr Moderns - what are they like?

What's Hot
I'm sorely tempted by a superstrat. 

how are the Suhr's?

all my other guitars are vintage style and id be buying unplayed!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• i had one and apart from the Floyd Rose I loved it. Very comfy, impeccable build quality, great versatility with the 5 way switch and it looked ace.

Go for it - but get a non floyd unless you love them

• StevepageStevepage Frets: 3061
    Some of the best guitars ever well worth it
  • Played an white modern satin in Guitarguitar in Camden once. It was a really nice guitar..very lightweight and balanced and comfortable neck. I'd seen used ones go anywhere from 1,100 to 1,400 on ebay which is a good price. They don't come up often though.
  • Thanks for the input! think i'm going to have to take the plunge!
  • Nice guitars. Play one though. It wasn't what I expected, sound wise.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • paulmapp8306paulmapp8306 Frets: 847
    edited December 2018
    I have one with a Floyd.  It's great.  I have an anderson in which I prefer, though it's p90 equipped, but prefer the suhr over my pre and select start.

Your free to try mind if your close enough to Nottingham.
  • artiebearartiebear Frets: 810
    edited November 2018
    If you more used to a vintage vibe, you could hang on and look for a modern carved standard. There's the Knopfler one with the Floyd and EMG's, but they do them with a non locking trem H/S/S, S/S/S H/S/H combos of passive pickups and everything from a very full C neck to modern. I have one here which veers towards the latter. It's flawless and gets used a lot. 
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3319
  • Moderns are my favourite 24 fret guitar. Very comfortable to play, both sitting and standing and available in a number of different configs - carve top, set neck, bolt on, Gotoh Floyd, Gotoh 510, fixed bridge, any pickup config you fancy etc.

Off the shelf, there are plenty of choices in terms of body/neck woods and pickup configs. I'd say that they have the most usable sounds out of a 5-way selector on HH guitars I've ever heard.

Many different neck profiles, but probably the most prevalent is the Modern Eliptical which is a very good all rounder - not too skinny, not too thick.

Aldrich pickups are awesome if you like high gain and they are incredibly versatile when cleaned up through the volume knob, and at the other end, the Thornbuckers are excellent PAF style options.

Alder, ash, limba, mahogany, etc. most options are available.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I have one with a Floyd.  It's great.  I have a golfers in which I prefer, though it's p90 equipped, but prefer the suhr over my pre and select start.

Your free to try mind if your close enough to Nottingham.
    Thanks @paulmapp8306 that's a really kind offer. I live on another continent though so it won't be possible!
  • artiebear said:
    If you more used to a vintage vibe, you could hang on and look for a modern carved standard. There's the Knopfler one with the Floyd and EMG's, but they do them with a non locking trem H/S/S, S/S/S H/S/H combos of passive pickups and everything from a very full C neck to modern. I have one here which veers towards the latter. It's flawless and gets used a lot. 
    That's great. Thanks!
  • Moderns are my favourite 24 fret guitar. Very comfortable to play, both sitting and standing and available in a number of different configs - carve top, set neck, bolt on, Gotoh Floyd, Gotoh 510, fixed bridge, any pickup config you fancy etc.

Off the shelf, there are plenty of choices in terms of body/neck woods and pickup configs. I'd say that they have the most usable sounds out of a 5-way selector on HH guitars I've ever heard.

Many different neck profiles, but probably the most prevalent is the Modern Eliptical which is a very good all rounder - not too skinny, not too thick.

Aldrich pickups are awesome if you like high gain and they are incredibly versatile when cleaned up through the volume knob, and at the other end, the Thornbuckers are excellent PAF style options.

Alder, ash, limba, mahogany, etc. most options are available.
    Many thanks for the info. All my guitars are 50s to 60s reissues and I haven't had a 24 fretted beast since the 90s. Really fancy upper fret access, accurate intonation etc

I'm not a high gain guy so the more paf type would probably be best for me. Cheers! 
  • dbphotodbphoto Frets: 716
    On the flip side, I bought a new one last year and while it could have been considered ‘perfect’, I returned it within a few days as it was just missing something.  Call it character or whatever, but it just felt sterile.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dbphoto said:
    On the flip side, I bought a new one last year and while it could have been considered ‘perfect’, I returned it within a few days as it was just missing something.  Call it character or whatever, but it just felt sterile.
    good to know. this is my fear.
    I did feel bad sending it back, and it’s the first time I have ever bought something online and returned even though there was not a thing wrong with it, but for a couple of grand I couldn’t have justified keeping it.
  • dbphoto said:
    I'm with you, fella. It's a horrible word to use, but it's hard to describe it any other way. We get a bad rap to saying stuff like this. They are, truly, perfect guitars. But there is something missing, to my mind, too.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    Meanwhile my R8 could never be considered any where near perfect, having lots of little issues, but it has that ‘something’ which makes me want to pick it up.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    edited December 2018
    I almost bought one in 2015. But the neck felt a bit “generic” for my tastes. So I bought a PRS Custom 24 Floyd instead. 

They are like a Swiss watch in terms of build though. 
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    @dbphoto Not a Modern, though, is it?