Uni-Vibe and Chorus in one?

What's Hot
Hi folks
I have generally been using a Zoom MS-70CDR for all my modulation needs live, but am finding the univibe and chorus sounds not quite up to scratch.
Are there any pedals that actually combine the two (not a univibe in chorus mode).

Could I approximate Small Clone sounds with a Viscous Vibe either in vibrato mode or the toneprint slot?

Many thanks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3888
    Hmm, you can do a sort of chorus sound with a univibe with the intensity low, but it doesn't sound/feel right. Maybe a more premium multi-modulation pedal might suit you? Personally, I'd get a separate chorus and vibe pedal. In my experience, this yields the best tone.
  • Matt_McGMatt_McG Frets: 328
    I didn't find the Viscous Vibe quite got me there.

Maybe the Digitech Ventura Vibe? I found I could get a nice chorus-y sound if I ran it in Vibrato mode and set the mix about 50% (so it's basically a chorus). It wasn't quite the chorus sound of my dreams, but it was nice, nonetheless.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Source Audio Gemini Chorus. You can also access phaser, flanger, rotary and univibe presets by connecting to a mobile on which you can tweek the settings. I have one and it sounds great. 
  • It would have to be a digital pedal, modelling type of thing. A Univibe is a 4 stage 2 notch phaser. That circuit topology can’t do chorus, and vice versa. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5178
    I’ve been mulling over which modulation pedal to go for on a smaller pedal board.. I find my Analogman Chorus can do Vibe & Leslie type sounds by experimenting with speed and depth. It also sounds Flanger like with certain drives and add a bit of tremolo from the Flint and it can sound phaser like.....I don’t need perfect univibe, Phase, Flanger sounds, so the one pedal works for me  :)
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2911
    edited December 2018
    There must be a way you can tweak in the toneprint editor to get a chorus sound on the Viscous Vibe, you can do a lot with it. I liked my VV and thought the vibe sound was great, but just don't like the incredibly vague feeling TC footswitching.
  • lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    edited December 2018
    True univibe is a tricky thing, chorus less so. If you’re after trower thick vibe, or even Gilmore for that matter, there are very few pedals that pull it off, and even the authentic ones have to be set properly. 
    Really it comes down to four pedals: univibe, chorus, Leslie & flanger (I hesitate from adding vibrato and tremolo). They can approximate each other, some more than others, but each are distinct and require their own pedal. The Foxrox tzf flanger is a good example, approximating all four beyond its intended flanger effect. As good as it sounds, I would prefer a dedicated Leslie pedal, etc. 
  • danodano Frets: 1595
    The MXR Univibe is very good at this. I've got the fancy Hendrix  version and it does great univibe sounds and with the press of a button goes very chorousy.  The black version is much cheaper and same insides.
  • Anyone know what the univibe is like in the Line 6 M5?
  • WeZ84WeZ84 Frets: 168
    The Way Huge Blue Hippo chorus has a switch that puts it in to Vibe mode. They released a smaller version of it not too long ago so it wouldn't take up as much board space as the original version
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    The old Ibanez BC9 Bi-Mode chorus has chorus and vibrato in the same pedal.
    They can't be used separately although there are controls for rate and depth of both so they can be turned on or off like that. It can knock out a fairly decent 'Leslie-ish' sound as well.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30937
    A Boss CE1 does the bridge of sighs/any color fast vibe brilliantly, but not so good at slow vibe.

The Boss MD500 is Ok at both.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12669
    Line6 M5
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• dano said:
    The MXR Univibe is very good at this. I've got the fancy Hendrix  version and it does great univibe sounds and with the press of a button goes very chorousy.  The black version is much cheaper and same insides.
    The chorus mode is very dark IMHO - not useful. The vib mode is really good
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    Drybell?
  • cbakaycbakay Frets: 67
    hywelg said:
    Drybell?
    Ditto 

the vibrato setting on it is a uni vibe..I looked for the same thing and did a lot of searching.. found the drybell to be the best. Best but not cheap.
  • lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    If you’re after authentic vibe, then get a vibe baby from classic amplification. And soon, cause the cells are drying up and he only has enough for a hundred or so. His plans are to retire soon anyway. A big loss to the vibe players out there. 
    Then again, there’s a new kid on the block, Sonus, who make my hands down favourite vintage fuzz face pedals. His take on the vibe may well be interesting. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7344
    Gassage said:
    A Boss CE1 does the bridge of sighs/any color fast vibe brilliantly, but not so good at slow vibe.

The Boss MD500 is Ok at both.
    Indeed - the early CE unit in the Boss ME-5 is a major component in the programming of my UniVibe patch in my Update Set. Is the best UniVibe I have ever played through - is sooo lush...

II
     \/
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    The Way Huge Blue Hippo chorus has a switch that puts it in to Vibe mode. They released a smaller version of it not too long ago so it wouldn't take up as much board space as the original version
    Confusingly, i think that'll be vibrato rather than the advertised vibe. Removed the dry signal from chorus and you have vibrato. Thats standard on quite a few chorus pedals.