Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

I don't get the humour of the young'uns of today

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    FFS it's pronounced 'meme'. What's so bloody hard about that?
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    edited December 2018
    Age and sense of humour and what was better than what aside - I think American pop/trash culture has a bigger effect on British youth now. Perhaps because of the net. But slang and expressions come from the States in a sort of text language. My daughter knows all this stuff inside out and back to front. I can’t even interpret most of it. And I don’t care. Just as I didn’t care about The Human League, Cannon And Ball, Kerrang, Sam Fox or Metal Mickey when I was young.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    My wife has informed me that the first thing there - Croissant: dropped, etc - is a question and response game that people fill in. So it would make more sense if you knew the person involved. Which does sort of work looking at it with that in mind.
    My wife is a lot cooler and more tuned in than me.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • themeinsidethemeinside Frets: 218
    edited December 2018
    randella said:
    And a lot of modern comedy isn't as good as Only Fools and Horses
    @themeinside ;;;; A lot of old comedy wasn’t either - mixed in as it was with Two Point Four Children and other such televisual faeces. You’ve named four of my favourite comedies but, believe me, there was some absolute dreck to sift through in order to find them.

I think the divergence of TV, with hundreds of channels, streaming services, YouTube et al. has led to some absolutely superb drama from the UK, the US, Scandinavia, all over really. We’re spoiled. Comedy though does seem to have taken a back seat lately. 

50% of those you mention were basically Ben Elton who made his name during the Thatcher years as a shouty politico railing against what he saw as bad times. It’s surprised me we haven’t seen a resurgence of the like.

I think the point I was clumsily trying to make is that our favourites are personal, and the emotions to go with them are very much going to cloud any view of new things. I’m as bad as anyone. 

99% sure you’ll have seen these, but have you watched Bottom, League of Gentlemen, Men Behaving Badly (was good for a few series), the Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin was a bit before my time but still loved it, the Mary Whitehouse Experience, the Fast Show, Smack the Pony, I’m Alan Partridge, any early Vic Reeves/Bob Mortimer stuff?

I’ve no idea how old you are so I just started resorting to listing the stuff I used to like
    25, so even I'm starting to lose my way with some stuff today. Some excellent stuff in your list (I have seen and enjoyed most of them (Bottom, Fast Show, and the League of Gentlemen 3) and will check out the others!). I'll put my tastes down to my parents- I was bought up right!

Actually talking of Ben Elton, I went to see Upstart Crow being filmed, and his anecdotes between scenes were brilliant. A born raconteur.
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    You want to look at bandmemes666 on Instagram for jokes you'll understand:

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • roberty said:

They did a true bypass mod on a grape

• vizviz Frets: 10697
    Sassafras said:
    FFS it's pronounced 'meme'. What's so bloody hard about that?
    http://i.imgur.com/9b4nOoG.jpg
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    Yoof of today have zero sense of humour unlike us codgers who were brought up on subtle, sophisticated comedians like Jim Davidson and Bernard Manning.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24580
    Sassafras said:
    Yoof of today have zero sense of humour unlike us codgers who were brought up on subtle, sophisticated comedians like Jim Davidson and Bernard Manning.
    My wife is so fat I can’t find a wide enough meme etc..
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    so how much bandwidth and inadvertently, wasted energy on the pursuit of this nonsense - Maybe they should consider their actions more closely if they want to save the planet:Me
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Kilgore said:
    Hattigol said:
    It's not you, it's them.
    They're humourless imbeciles.
    Nonsense! My 13 yr old recently watched a Fawlty Towers episode. He was pissing himself laughing.
    Especially where Basil elbows that smart Alec kid in the face.  Never fails to raise a smile. 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2244
    Wife told me a bit about the first one..

It's internet stuff!

• deanodeano Frets: 622
    Meme! I'd walk a million miles,
    For one of your smiles,
    My me-ee-me!

See, that there, that's comedy gold that is. None of your rubbish like from that bloke off the Office. Proper comedy. But you can't do it these days, the PC police will have you locked up for making up like Al Jolson. That's when we had proper telly, the Black and White Minstrels, Love Thy Neighbour, Are You Being Served? The world's gone mad! I blame.... etc.