Starter kit: thoughts?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11467
    ESBlonde said:
    Harley Benton have developed a great reputation for value and playability. I'd be tempted to look at Thomann with their great delivery and returns policy.
    This
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5407
    Thanks all, will be collating responses and adding the accumulated wisdom to what I've already passed on from my own experience.

They have a PMT nearby, although I have no idea if it's a good example or otherwise.  Have already suggested not automatically going for the pre-pack starter bundles, but instead going to the shop (ideally not at the weekend) and talking with someone about putting a kit together.

I think they'll probably want an amp - my experience of kids of that age is that they want to be raucous, and when he develops a bit he'll want to show off to his mates. Headphones steals the sexy!  It's only us old farts realise they also minimise the embarassment and allow practice whilst partners watch the box/kids sleep/life goes on around us.

Very much appreciate the input, especially around amps, as I'm totally out of touch there, and was slightly concerned that a Katana might be overwhelming (too much to fiddle with) rather than useful, but also know that playing through something half-decent massively increases the pleasure and makes you want to carry on, not give up in disgust.
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 3047
    @Snags ;

Just one last thing his parents may have overlooked.  Is he definitely right-handed?
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5407
    Good shout - but yes, I believe so.  I'll mention it though (a leftie writes - albeit a leftie who plays rightie).
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5793
    To chuck another tuppence worth in, the importance of choosing a guitar you bond with is almost more important to a starting out player than an established one. Having a guitar that’s comfortable and makes you look at it on its stand and want to pick it up is even more crucial when playing can be the most frustrating. 

If its at all possible to make it a great present and let him choose himself, I think that will have more benefit than the technically best choice