The Age Old Question; Best tele neck humbucker or is a 69 CS Strat pup better?

What's Hot
GassageGassage Frets: 30941
Knock yourself out. Warmth and power required, decent coil tap is a bonus if HB.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006
    I’ve got a Mojotron in the neck position of my Tele, absolutely love it 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30941
    DrBob said:
    It's a preCBS tele- I don't want to go too extreme looks wise. It's routed already. But thx.

• OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    What about a humbucker sized P90? Got one in a Jazzmaster, pretty warm sound.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30941
    Octafish said:
    What about a humbucker sized P90? Got one in a Jazzmaster, pretty warm sound.
    Might be an option, yes

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14553
    Money no object? Seymour Duncan Custom Shop Pearly Gates For Stratocaster. Second choice, Red Devil Neck. Both of these employ an Alnico bar magnet rather than the ceramic of the Li'l '59. It seems to make a difference.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • JD50JD50 Frets: 660
    What about a WRHB?
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31648
    Vintage Strat pickup every time. It makes for a properly balanced guitar, where both pickups sound their best with the same amp settings. 

The middle position rings like a bell too, though I didn't use it here;

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • breezytelebreezytele Frets: 273
    edited December 2018
    I  was considering the same options as you, whilst I was gathering parts for a custom build, but settled on this. https://www.buyanalogman.com/Analog_Man_Jim_Weider_Big_T_Telecaster_neck_pickup_p/am-bigtpickup.htm

Its made by Fralin, only sold via Analogman, and developed by Jim Weider, and  those demos sound fine.  
    The product description is detailed, including of the sound they were aiming to achieve.
    The magnets are a little deeper btw
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5291
    I have a Throbak HB in the neck of my Gustavsson Fullerblaster  and sounds pretty good
  • p90fool said:
    Vintage Strat pickup every time. It makes for a properly balanced guitar, where both pickups sound their best with the same amp settings. 

The middle position rings like a bell too, though I didn't use it here;

Nice :+1: 
  • noisepolluternoisepolluter Frets: 800
    edited December 2018
    Alnico 5 mini humbucker? Nice mix of grunt and chime, and not too much of a volume discrepancy with bridge pickup.
  • john_rjohn_r Frets: 130
    My blackguard partscaster has a low output PAF style humbucker wound with 43 gauge wire that @Mojopickups made for me is nicely balanced with the bridge pickup but needs 500k pots and some cleverness with resistors to sound its best and have the bridge pickup still 'see' a 250k pot. If you don't want to mess with the wiring harness strat pickup is probably the way to go.
  • The Fralin P45 I have in my Novo Serus T does a good job - worth checking out. I imagine you can custom order from them or have similar made by another company.
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    The Fralin P45 I have in my Novo Serus T does a good job - worth checking out. I imagine you can custom order from them or have similar made by another company.
    I thought my old boss had bought me one of those pickups but turned out it was just a normal P45
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Gassage said:
    DrBob said:
    It's a preCBS tele- I don't want to go too extreme looks wise. It's routed already. But thx.
    Aside from the Strat pickup, a uncovered Tele neck pickup might be a decent option, 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I always find that a traditional white Strat pickup looks weird in the Tele neck position because of the pole pieces. When you add the screws either side it makes everything look a bit bizarre to me, as normally a Tele neck pickup is so small. I got around that by using a Lace Chrome Dome, but I have to say that it's not the perfect sound for me when playing clean, so i tend to tweak it. If I didn't have a slightly unusual scratchplate shape (I have a PAF in the bridge) I would replace it with one of @TheGuitarWeasel 's creations, which seem to have a bit more beef that the traditional Tele neck pickup.

Maybe an uncovered Strat pickup is the way to go. I heard a rumour that you're a Gilmour fan, and I believe that he did the same thing once upon a time ;-)