Finally tamed the Shin-Ei FY2 companion fuzz

Dave_VaderDave_Vader Frets: 360
I accidentally bought an FY2 clone about ten years ago now. It was sold to me as a Fuzz Face and - being my first fuzz pedal - I had no idea it wasn't until I sent it to a nice chap on basschat that fixed the volume drop problem with some internal trimpots and boosty stuff.
It makes a lovely noise for lead, but turns to mush for chord stuff and resolutely refuses to clean up with volume pots.

Today I finally got my hands on a treble booster, after wondering about them since the late 80s when I first heard Brian May and Rory Gallagher used them. There's always been something more important that I've needed on my board, so I never got one before.

Having been very tempted by a Thorpy Veteran for quite some time now, I thought i'd stick the treble booster in front of the Shin-Ei to see what happened, and oh my god.

It has definition, it screams, it does chords, it cleans up on the volume pot, it sounds like Led Zeppelin I, Electric Ladyland and Let it Burn. It does all the fuzz tones I ever wanted all of a sudden.

Because I bought a 25 quid dopefx Rangemaster clone on ebay on a whim.

Should have done it years ago.

Anybody else struggling with this beast of a pedal should follow my example, and there's also a strong chance I'll be flogging my big muff now as well.
Have saved myself the cost of a veteran too - sorry Thorpy.
0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom