Age-old question about truss rod adjustment

What's Hot
Treewig1Treewig1 Frets: 445
I know this has been covered a lot before (and there are loads of YouTube videos) but I have become confused about which way to turn the truss rod.

I need to put some concave bow into my guitar's neck (it is perfectly flat and I have fret buzz).  If I am sitting on my guitar bridge looking down the neck to the tuners, and I have an Allen key in the truss rod (the adjustment on my guitar is in the head stock), do I turn it right or left?

I though I had to go left right, but a quarter turn to the left did nothing then a half turn to the right seems to have put a slight concave bow in then neck...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• bodhibodhi Frets: 1334
    I'm not sure if all truss rods work in the same way, but I thought this explains it quite well:

https://www.taylorguitars.com/support/maintenance/truss-rod-adjustments
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4195
    Not all necks react instantly or consistently to truss rod adjustment, it’s not a bad idea when slackening a truss rod to exert a little gentle forward motion at the headstock . 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    Look from the headstock towards the bridge and for increasing the bow turn the allen key anti clockwise. For reducing the bow turn the key clockwise.

Another way to remember is righty tighty, lefty loosey (looking from the headstock towards the bridge).
  • Treewig1Treewig1 Frets: 445
    Thanks all.  I recalled the 'right tighty' thing but I was looking from the bridge end...doh!  Thanks for clearing it up.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14334
    tFB Trader
    Treewig1 said:
    Thanks all.  I recalled the 'right tighty' thing but I was looking from the bridge end...doh!  Thanks for clearing it up.
    I always quote righty tighty and lefty loosy, but I can see the logic based on such a question depending on looking up or down the fingerboard - hope you have it sorted now
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31648
    A simple way to remember it on a conventional single action truss rod is that by tightening it you're counteracting the pull of the strings. 

Therefore, by loosening it the strings will be able to bow the neck forwards. 
  • deanodeano Frets: 622
    If I even suspect I might need to fiddle with the truss rod, a few hours (or even the day before) I put a few drops (two or three) of three-in-one oil down the truss rod cavity. If helps if the truss rod is seized on, and they can be. If I don't adjust the rod, nothing is harmed.