MXR Dyna comp advice.

What's Hot
markjmarkj Frets: 914
Following on from another thread, I’m quite interested in the dyna comp. I’m after a reasonably priced compressor, below £100. But I’ve read elsewhere that the dyna comp colours the sound and brightens your tone, this is the last thing I want. Are there any dyna comp owners on the forum that can confirm this. Any recommendations for a compressor in the price bracket would be very welcome.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6096
    I have a couple of dyna comps for sale atm, one an old battery only (slight modded for psu as well) and a whirlwind red box. Dyna comps do colour your tone but it’s a sound that lots of people like. They don’t brighten your tone, rather they seem to crush the upper frequencies together (the ‘colour’). There are lots of comps built around this style, inc keeley 2 & 4 knob. The Whirlwind, which is built by one of the original Dyna Comp designers is one of the best in that style. If you want to check out that style cheaply, then the Biyang baby boom is a good choice.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • cbakaycbakay Frets: 67
    Can’t comment on dyna as I don’t have but it is modelled after a ross comp so yes will colour.

But a Keeley compressor plus I do have & adds no perceivable colour, is very flexible, has a tone knob and second hands are in your price range.
  • KoaKoa Frets: 120
    Have you tried a JHS Pulp n Peel, a version of the old Dan Armstrong comp but really nice
  • There never seems to be juch love for the Rothwell Love Squeeze, although i don't know why. Has anyone used one out there that could explain why?
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    There never seems to be juch love for the Rothwell Love Squeeze, although i don't know why. Has anyone used one out there that could explain why?
    I agree. The Rothwell is one of the best. Won't colour your sound and has a very low noise floor even when on full squash.
    A great choice if you want 'transparency'.
    My personal favourite is the Orange Squeezer type.
  • Have a look at this one from Ampeg: https://www.breakthemachine.co.uk/product/opto-comp/
    We are a UK based, family run company retailing guitar effects pedals and accessories online. 
    https://www.breakthemachine.co.uk  connect@breakthemachine.co.uk
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16138
    Koa said:
    Have you tried a JHS Pulp n Peel, a version of the old Dan Armstrong comp but really nice
    this is a great Orange squeezer 
    depends what you want a comp for .......this is the route for Country or chicken pickin
    I dont like the transparent comps ........like having an imaginary friend
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KoaKoa Frets: 120
    Dominic said:
    Koa said:
    this is a great Orange squeezer 
    depends what you want a comp for .......this is the route for Country or chicken pickin
    I dont like the transparent comps ........like having an imaginary friend
    Does the Mark Knopfler Strat thing very well so yes maybe more of a clean comp ,it’s the only one I’ve tried that actually seems to add something without choking all the dynamics