Is This The Future For Guitar Shops...?

What's Hot
Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2402
I guess its only a matter fo time before some of the other 'big name' media orientated dealers start charging for additonal content like Norm Harris....

https://www.patreon.com/normansrareguitars?fbclid=IwAR3GUNXfOaWZr-sjG6_s6h7U-U_4mOnfwjVfrYcO07a1o23RrW55gScC_TE

I for one won't be paying for his $4.95 monthly subscription, but I'm sure plenty of others will. Norm said the other day that he was not sure whether they were a guitar shop or TV studio because that's what it felt like in there some days. If this is the future then count me out. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6097
    Perhaps we’re nearing the tipping point where guitars become terminally uncool for anyone under 18.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23044
    JezWynd said:
    Perhaps we’re nearing the tipping point where guitars become terminally uncool for anyone under 18.

Until the launch of.... the Apple Guitar, made of carbon fibre for consistent weight and 100% stiffness all along the string path.  Only available from authorised dealers, and only available in white so no-one can claim their black one sounds better.

It'll also have a special type of jack socket which nobody else uses.

@Three-ColourSunburst should approve wholeheartedly.

6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • AlvinAlvin Frets: 416
    Philly_Q said:
    JezWynd said:

Until the launch of.... the Apple Guitar, made of carbon fibre for consistent weight and 100% stiffness all along the string path.  Only available from authorised dealers, and only available in white so no-one can claim their black one sounds better.

With non user replaceable strings so you have to send it back to them every time you need to change them !
    4reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • They are trying to move with the times but the whole thing doesn’t sit right with me. On the face of it norms seems to be a proper, maybe a little overpriced, guitar shop going in an unfavourable direction.

They are seem to be thinking this is what the kids are into let’s do that..

• sgosdensgosden Frets: 1994
    Philly_Q said:
    JezWynd said:

https://reverb.com/nz/news/fender-collaborates-with-supreme-on-flashy-white-strat

Or crazy overpriced clothes branding on guitars ?
  • Quite a few of the YouTube channels I follow run a Patreon subsciription along side their main channel. IMO, not much changes. I still get the regular normal content I would have gotten anyway, but have the option to subscribe to see behind the scenes videos, exclusive competitions, different merch, maybe the chance to interact with the channel at a personal level.

I think this is where Norm is going. The exisiting Guitar of the Day videos will remain but as a Patreon subscriber you will get access to 'special' content that normal views won't get. For example the videos on Norms Tresure Trove of stuff.
    sgosden said:
    Philly_Q said:
    JezWynd said:

https://reverb.com/nz/news/fender-collaborates-with-supreme-on-flashy-white-strat

Or crazy overpriced clothes branding on guitars ?
    Looks more like a toothpaste brand.  I must admit I quite like it (apart from the scratchplate, obviously).
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    I welcome any move that reduces how much time I waste watching guitar shit on youtube
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    It's called maximising profits which I suppose is a legitimate pursuit for any business but I shan't be subscribing.
  • SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 1075
    I'm struggling to find a more eloquent way of saying it, so I'll resort to the old standard "He can fuck right off".
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2402
    Meanwhile the 8 year old kid reviewing toys makes $22M ! 
  • King85King85 Frets: 631
    Don't like it, don't pay for it. Simple as.

I won't be and i'd say this a more testing the waters sort of thing tbf to see if they can generate some more income. If they're knocking out hours of videos each week and it's the sort of thing you enjoy watching then is it that far removed from other subscription based services such as netflix?
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1527
    selling the sell. Have a nose in the store room. ffs.  Not for me.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28341
    apparently when they get to 10,000 patrons (netting $50K a month) they will give away a guitar! Such generosity!
    They are on 55 patrons so I hope that they aren't holding their breath on that one.

To be honest, things are tough these days, if they can make it work good luck to them. My money wouldn't go to this sort of thing though.
  • Paul7926Paul7926 Frets: 227
    I think Patreon is an OK outlet for content creators, especially podcasts where people are talking about a hobby or a pastime and they would like some compensation for the time they put into making the content and the costs associated with doing it.  I think when it's an actual shop that are pretty much asking you yo pay for their advertising that's a whole different ballgame.  

However I do get that things are difficult in the current climate and if it works for them then great.  
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    edited December 2018
    Strange for a business to go down the Patreon route - you would think that their business should fund what I presume is basically a marketing channel.

Patreon, for me, should be an alternative means to fund content creators who for one reason or another eschew traditional funding streams, like endoresment or other advertising. I fund one - AvE. $2 a month, well worth it for me as it's informative and funny. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChWv6Pn_zP0rI6lgGt3MyfA

• ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3595
    Probably an awareness that Mark Agnesi has recently set up his own independent yootoob channel as well as hosting Norms Guitar of the day. Norm didn't get to be king of the hill by watching opportunities pass by.
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    Meanwhile Lee Anderton and Rob Chapman are scouting venues for next year's Edinburgh Fringe Festival.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I don't know much about the YouTube business model, but don't the people with lots of subscribers make money out of it anyway, through hosting adverts and product placement?
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Philly_Q said:
    I don't know much about the YouTube business model, but don't the people with lots of subscribers make money out of it anyway, through hosting adverts and product placement?
    They do; I found out yesterday, in one of those "the modern world can indeed get worse" moments, that some wee boy gets 22 million a year from his YouTube channel about toys.

I guess Norm is just greedy and wants more.

I wonder if he pays the people who play on his videos. They're the reason people watch, aren't they?