Removing particpant from multi-way message chats

What's Hot
How do you remove a third party from a group message?  Or does the individual need to remove themselves?

e.g. if I start a discussion with 5 other FBers, and maybe add a couple more in along the way, and then one of them wants to leave because it's no longer relevant:

• can I remove them as the discussion originator? (If so, how, 'cos I can't see a mechanism)
  • do they just need to use "Delete Conversation" at their end? (which presumably deletes the conversation for them, but doesn't unilaterally destroy it for all the other participants?)
  • do the rest of us need to start a new conversation that doesn't include the people who want out?

I'm assuming it must be the middle option, but thought it wise to check.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12465
    Snags said:
    How do you remove a third party from a group message?  Or does the individual need to remove themselves?

e.g. if I start a discussion with 5 other FBers, and maybe add a couple more in along the way, and then one of them wants to leave because it's no longer relevant:

• can I remove them as the discussion originator? (If so, how, 'cos I can't see a mechanism)
    • do they just need to use "Delete Conversation" at their end? (which presumably deletes the conversation for them, but doesn't unilaterally destroy it for all the other participants?)
    • do the rest of us need to start a new conversation that doesn't include the people who want out?

I'm assuming it must be the middle option, but thought it wise to check.

Is it me am I no longer relevant??
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5420
    Yes, you're dead to me.

No, it's someone who's requested no more notifications.  But I still think wants access to the messages. So I'm not sure how that will work, or indeed if it's something I can control.  A learning opportunity!
  • I am guessing a new thread...  lets remove the guy who wanted to turn his amp up... oh it was me :)

“Ken sent me.”
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12465
    I am guessing a new thread...  lets remove the guy who wanted to turn his amp up... oh it was me :)

Your amp surely doesn't get any louder : )
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Only the person who wants to leave can do that - you can't kick someone out of a conversation.

Unfortunately, you can't both remove yourself from a conversation and keep the conversation in your history. Thank the Vanilla devs for that little piece of genius.

A much better way to have that sort of multi-way conversation is simply to run it as a thread in public, assuming you're not bitching and moaning about people in private :D
    <space for hire>
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5420
    Thanks Lee.  I'll ask the troops what they want to do. If you see a thread titled "That bastard digitalscream" you'll know they've decided to go public ;)

(No, it's not a bitch-fest, just an organisational convo that doesn't have the capacity to be come one, come all, unfortunately).
  • munckee said:
    I am guessing a new thread...  lets remove the guy who wanted to turn his amp up... oh it was me :)

Your amp surely doesn't get any louder : )
    it may go to 11 :)
    “Ken sent me.”