I̶n̶c̶o̶m̶i̶n̶g̶ Arrived! NAD: SLO-100

What's Hot
tekbowtekbow Frets: 1699
edited December 2018 in Amps

Paid for it yesterday, Tracking number arrived today and it's heading for the distribution depot. It's not in my hands yet... but Tuesday, with any luck, I'll have my excalibur amp

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Fucking nice! 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tekbowtekbow Frets: 1699
    It will be when/if it arrives, the finding it was less pleasant :lol: especially since Mike retiring.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • If you weren't quite so far north, I'd be camped on the corner of your street waiting for the delivery dude...

Any idea what the warranty situation is? Not heckling, I'm genuinely curious.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    @digitalscream, no company, no warranty I guess.

That being said, having heard of how he treats people (like a gent) and having spoken to him myself a couple times, it wouldn't surprise me if he'll end up honouring the warranty should you be capable of getting your amp to him. Not that's it's all that applicable in Europe.

As for replacement parts, well.. the Deyoung's are out of the question as I believe they were being more awkward about making the things since being taken over. I'm not sure a well maintained non-abused SLO has had a transformer failure.

A friend of mine has a 92 and that's still going strong.
  • Aye, it's the transformers that are the worry. Maybe he's got a stock of them?

Agreed that he's a decent chap - I exchanged emails with him a few times (about the Jet City amps), and he was incredibly helpful.
    <space for hire>
  • Very nice! What do the extra switches do?
    @digitalscream, sadly nope.. what he had went into building the last SLO's afaik. Apparently the last order of Deyoung's was delayed. I suspect that's something to do with him winding down.

C3 amps has an onetics "Hi-Def" transformer which I suspect is a clone.

@nikolas7333, the top right is the Warren Haynes mod (a bright cut switch), the bottom right would usually be a mid scoop switch, but In this one it seems to be a channel switch.

I'll be putting it back to the scoop switch.
  • I saw Warren Haynes play through a Soldano Slo ( and something else I confess I’ve forgotten) at ’under the bridge’ a few years back.

To this day, it remains possibly the best guitar tone I’ve ever experienced.
    (we were centre front, and just hearing his backline rather than the P.A. 

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    Wow.   That’s one of the few amps I’d love to add to my set up.     I hope you enjoy it! 
    @breezytele, I listened to Government Mule for the first time a few months ago and he has an insane sweet tone. I don't think the SLO will help me get there :lol:

@john_p it'll be the only amp in mine, the HR50+ will be getting sold. Had that for 10 years, the SLO was the only thing I was going to move it on for.
  • Greatest amp ever, though I’m never getting rid of my HR50.

the crunch is the surprise show stopper- knopfler, clapton and moore tones there.
    @alexhunter, don't get me wrong, I'd love to hold onto the HR50, it's a superb amp, but a multi-amp set up just isn't something I can justify at the moment sadly.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31621
    An absolute dream amp, well done. I only ever played one once, for about half an hour in the mid 90s, it's haunted me ever since.
    Enjoy.
  • I felt obliged to summarise the general sentiment more eloquently.....................

Really fucking nice
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    @p90fool, I had some help to be fair. A German mate with a polyglot Italian wife kept an eye on a couple of European gear trading sites for me. A bit like localised versions of reverb. Then when one came up he made contact for me and provided my details.

I think he just did it to shut me up about finding an SLO.

Good price too. What I'd call about right compared to the price gouging some are attempting on eBay and reverb at the moment.

@polarityman, eloquent and to the point. I'm rather happy :lol: 
  • Id love to play a real one, have a jet city and the SLO model is almost always my favourite on any modeller / amp VST.

ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • Id love to play a real one, have a jet city and the SLO model is almost always my favourite on any modeller / amp VST.

I've been in this position for many years. It's weird...some of the modellers sound nothing like the SLO, not even the vague flavour, but it's always the best model. I wonder if they all start with the SLO for <some reason>?
    <space for hire>
    edited December 2018

Id love to play a real one, have a jet city and the SLO model is almost always my favourite on any modeller / amp VST.

You know, there's probably not going to be a huge amount of difference between my current HR50+ and the SLO. and probably the Jet City is quite close too. I mean the purists will argue more "3D", or when pushed will say "it's just different, OK??", but i've yet to hear anyone quantify what different is.

I've been in this position for many years. It's weird...some of the modellers sound nothing like the SLO, not even the vague flavour, but it's always the best model. I wonder if they all start with the SLO for <some reason>?
    I agree. I've heard some of the digital modellers and to me, they sound nothing like the Soldano gain structure. What they do sound like is how people attempt to describe the gain structure in words. Cutting, sizzley etc. it's like the modellers used these descriptions, or what they sound like on albums after a bunch of mastering and post processing. But it's not what they sound like in person

• The sound of an SLO and HB strat . 
    The sound of ROCK lol..

(Bloody best album they ever made lol)

Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Aaannnd it's here safe =)

That's a 10 year dose of GAS cleared up right there.

0reaction image LOL 14reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom