Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Flogging a dead horse?

What's Hot

Comments

• I am a vegan, I don't find those terms "offensive" even if the Daily Mail and Piers Morgan says I do, and I don't like PETA.

You must understand that PETA are shock-tactics merchants. They think that all publicity is good publicity, and so will say nonsense like that to just get their name in the papers again, even if it means that perfectly rational vegans like me get treated like extremist weirdos.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16097
    Grunfeld said:
    I don't use "kill two birds with one stone."
    Much prefer, "feed two birds with one seed."
    No problems about using patients and students as guinea pigs. 
    EDIT -- I don't think I could ever use guinea pigs as guinea pigs.  I really like rodents. 
    You'll make a hopeless Peruvian.............or a very hungry one
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16097
    I think "flogging a dead horse" discriminates against BDSM aficionados 
    ........they would find it a waste of a good thrashing
    We must ,of course,abandon listening to Bonamassa's 'Mule Skinner Blues' ...........(but only 'cos it's boring )
  • Jimbro66 said:
    Is spanking the monkey still OK?  Asking for a friend.
    Priceless :D 

Perhaps the perfect comment to end this thread.
    I prefer "choking the chicken"
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    ... and what about putting Ferrets down your trousers?
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

You must understand that PETA are shock-tactics merchants. They think that all publicity is good publicity, and so will say nonsense like that to just get their name in the papers again, even if it means that perfectly rational vegans like me get treated like extremist weirdos.
    Thanks for that input @MattBanshee. It puts the whole matter in perspective. That's the issue with all extremist groups who purport to represent a sector of society. Tarring all with the same brush :(
  • I've been a veggie for some 32 years now and if there's one thing I dread, it's the next press release from PETA. Or Morrissey. Ok, that's two things, but I can't help but feel that between them, they've put more people off becoming veggie/vegan than they've converted.

These people do not represent me.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2400
    scrumhalf said:
    "Bringing home the bagels"?

We'll have less of your cultural appropriation, thank you very much.
    As someone who is allergic to wheat, I find that phrase offensive.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    edited December 2018
    Words are rarely as offensive as actions. So saying ‘flogging a dead horse’ or ‘teaching your grandmother to suck eggs’ is radically different to carrying these actions out. However, calling somebody an offensive name and insulting them is another thing entirely.
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12327
    I’ve been veggie for 20 years, wife is vegan, it isn’t an agenda that I try to push I just disagree with the meat industry and the way it is run, it’s cruel and damaging to the environment at the rate that it is going, one day I will be vegan but some vices are hard to stop. I have a friend who is vegan and is a fucking tiresome bore to be honest, her heart is in the right place but sometimes she needs to know when to shut the fuck up.
    I’m not offended at any of those phrases though. That’s just crazy.

its odd that in this day and age it’s still a topic at the dinner table whenever I say Im veggie, people ask why but if you tell them it makes it a bit uncomfortable if they are tucking into a steak, I don’t ask them why they are eating meat so why vice versa?
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6684
    edited December 2018
    Soylent Green. 

I reserve the right to eat what I like, think what I like and behave how I want. I prefer to stay within legislative guidelines and will never proselytise. If I choose a plant-based diet and don't give anyone around me a hard time for eating animal based foods why the f**k should I get an earache from anyone? 
  • deanodeano Frets: 622
    I’ve been veggie for 20 years, wife is vegan, it isn’t an agenda that I try to push I just disagree with the meat industry and the way it is run, it’s cruel and damaging to the environment at the rate that it is going, one day I will be vegan but some vices are hard to stop. I have a friend who is vegan and is a fucking tiresome bore to be honest, her heart is in the right place but sometimes she needs to know when to shut the fuck up.
    I’m not offended at any of those phrases though. That’s just crazy.

its odd that in this day and age it’s still a topic at the dinner table whenever I say Im veggie, people ask why but if you tell them it makes it a bit uncomfortable if they are tucking into a steak, I don’t ask them why they are eating meat so why vice versa?
    What I find surprising about this is people asking why someone is a vegetarian.

In this day and age why would people even ask that. I am 51 and an unreconstructed, old-school, middle-aged grumpy git. I know I am, but I would no more ask someone why they are vegetarian than ask them about their bedroom habits. If you are a vegetarian, fine, eat what you want to eat and it's nobody else's business.

If someone tells me they are a vegetarian, I never delve in any deeper for fear they want to tell me about it! I try to change the subject to something else (football, cricket, music, and at a push, bedroom habits).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • If it came up in conversation I'd be willing to hear about why the person I'm talking to applies restrictions to what they eat. I also apply restrictions but they are based on what I like the taste of or on what I (culturally) think is acceptable. Other people are not the same and I'm willing to hear about it (with the caveat that I'm not willing to be told I'm somehow evil for not having the same scruples).
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2439
    Emp_Fab said:
    hootsmon said:
    Emp likes opening up a can of worms especially with a Guinness or two
    I can’t stand Guiness, but - and this is true -  I did dream the other night that I was eating worms from a tin and thought to myself “ugh.. this is gross...  why have you been eating these all these years” and spat them out.
    Guinness isn't vegan anyway, they use isinglass in the production of it
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    If you want to annoy veggies and vegans refer to their diet as an eating disorder. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I think they'd find that more confusing than annoying.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • strtdv said:
    Emp_Fab said:
    hootsmon said:
    Emp likes opening up a can of worms especially with a Guinness or two
    I can’t stand Guiness, but - and this is true -  I did dream the other night that I was eating worms from a tin and thought to myself “ugh.. this is gross...  why have you been eating these all these years” and spat them out.
    Guinness isn't vegan anyway, they use isinglass in the production of it
    Not any more. They recently changed to a vegan production method for both prepacked and draught.
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    When I take folks to a business lunch, why do the majority of folks quietly choose what they want but the one person insists on announcing they are vegetarian, frowning at the menu, and begrudgingly ordering after keeping the waiter and the rest of us waiting while they take what appears to be the biggest decision of their lifetime?

I couldn't care less about their eating habits. Why foist them on me and expect a reaction?  Its as silly as me announcing I'm a guitar player and expecting them to respond.
    Chalky said:
    When I take folks to a business lunch, why do the majority of folks quietly choose what they want but the one person insists on announcing they are vegetarian, frowning at the menu, and begrudgingly ordering after keeping the waiter and the rest of us waiting while they take what appears to be the biggest decision of their lifetime?

I couldn't care less about their eating habits. Why foist them on me and expect a reaction?  Its as silly as me announcing I'm a guitar player and expecting them to respond.

Ive never announced that Im a veggie and I haven't heard anybody announce it at the table ever.

I think you're making this one up pal, and if theyre frowning at the menu its probably because there are only two really dull choices for them.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2430
    Chalky said:

They probably had very little vegetarian choice on the menu. Although in theory that should make their choice much quicker.

When I lived in Cornwall a vegetarian couple came to stay with me and on a trip to a resort we went into a cafe where you had to order at the counter. The fella asked me to order him a salad. Easy. The girl, who is a bit of a diva, wanted soup but wanted to be sure that the vegetable soup was vegetarian. I was totally bemused but at her insistance went to the counter and asked the typically Cornish girl. “Is the vegetable soup vegetarian?” She looked at me like I was totally stupid and said “It’s made of vegetables me luvver, NEXT!”