The Les Paul Gold Top I have been waiting for

What's Hot
chris45chris45 Frets: 221
Well my search is over - AND now I know where all of those banjo tuners from firebirds went to:

https://www.gumtree.com/p/guitar-instrument/gibson-les-paul-futura-gold-top-with-dark-back-/1322596520
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72487
    It's also in prestige condition. Imprestive.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16735
    Gibson did put those steinberger gearless tuners on some LP's. Banjo style tuners are a very different thing

Those steiny ones actually work really well, but don't suit that guitar at all. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72487
    WezV said:
    Gibson did put those steinberger gearless tuners on some LP's. Banjo style tuners are a very different thing

Those steiny ones actually work really well, but don't suit that guitar at all. 
    They are brilliant on Firebirds though - they're so much lighter than the banjo ones that they correct a lot of the notorious Firebird neck dive. (As you know, I know ;).) A friend of mine here has just bought one with them on, which I think I will be seeing tomorrow...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Agreed, 3 of the 5 Firebirds I have had use them.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14496
    Erm, to what does the Futura part of the model name refer?

In the history of Gibson model nomenclature, the word Futura is normally associated with one of Ted McCarty's red herring patent application drawings. (The shape could be considered a forerunner of the Explorer.)

The purpose of the hoax was to divert attention away from the Gibson humbucker patent. Like the Moderne, the Futura was never meant to be taken seriously until Ibanez, in their Seventies copying period, "replicated" the designs. Suddenly, people wanted the Gibson originals - even though they had never existed to begin with.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    Erm, to what does the Futura part of the model name refer?

In this case it's just a typo of the word Future.... See truss rod cover
  • chris45chris45 Frets: 221
    Blimey I genuinely thought it was a fake
    edited December 2018
    chris45 said:
    Blimey I genuinely thought it was a fake

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/Les-Paul-Future-Tribute.aspx

Just be glad they didn't take the upgraded tuners ;)