Importing guitars from US

What's Hot
Hi all,

Who can tell me the details about this-mostly around the likely cost in import tax etc? 

I have been looking at the Asher lapsteels but struggling to find any in the UK. I spoke the the good people at Coda who are a UK dealer and they advised (very honestly as well!) that the deal direct from Asher were so good they wouldn’t be able to match them anyway-so I started to look at them direct. Have my eye on the gold top junior-can be had (from Asher on reverb) for £858 plus £80 postage to the UK. The fretboard is no longer rosewood and so is CITES friendly so no issues there. 

What i I am not sure upon is the likely cost I’ll have on top of that if I buy? A brief google suggests around £150 on top-but there seems a lot of variables and i wouldn’t be too keen to buy something for this kind of money without knowing what the final amount might be. 

Anyone experienced in this regard please chip in-or is it not worth the hassle etc. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• dbphotodbphoto Frets: 716
    edited December 2018
    Not actually many variables to be honest, just allow for 25% on top of total cost paid (item plus postage) and you won’t go wrong.

So around an extra £234 to be paid on the costs given.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2397
    Yeah, 25% should cover it.....but make sure they don't do USPS for courier bercause it takes so long and the last time I used them they waited for the guitar to arrive then sent out forms in the post for me to complete and return before they would deliver it to me, just ridiculous in this day and age. Took the best part of a month from leaving Florida to arriving at my door. UPS or Fed Ex are quicker and they just ring for the duty which you pay by card over the phone and its done. Next time I'll just fly and collect....then walk through customs like everyone else does! 
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3339
    You have to pay import duty on the whole costs plus VAT and often a brokerage charge. 30% will be a closer figure to budget for, this way you may have some money left. 
  • Agree stay away from USPS its the cheapest option but I ordered some products and they went all the way around the world including Hong Kong, Singapore then to the Gulf and then sat in Germany for 2 weeks.  Also they use Parcel Farce ISTR as there UK partner so budget to be ripped off in handling charges plus 20% vat 5% duty. 

As said UPS Fed ex more expensive to ship but in general a better fairer service.