Canadian unofficial Tokai guitars

What's Hot
FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14501
The story of how these came into existence is well-documented. What is the consensus on their build quality? Do these guitars fall foul of this forum's No Fakes trading rules?

The reason I ask is because a self-deluding character from my town with debts to pay is probably going to offer me his "SG" in the very near future. I am trying to gauge exactly how little I should pay for a guitar that I might never be able to sell.
You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ricorico Frets: 1220
    More info required methinks! Never heard of such a Tokai. 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14501
    Long story short. During a dispute with Tokai's distributor, a Canadian retailer commissioned the Korean factory that then manufactured them to make and supply guitars directly. Same materials, same production line, same personnel BUT without the knowledge or consent of Tokai Japan management. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    To gauge the value of a "Make In Korea" Fakai you should compare it to the equivalent same price of a used genuine Tokai made in China.

Bear in mind that Chinese Tokais are cheap as chips now with the introduction of their Legacy series.

The ESP LTD Viper 256 is a worthy competitor in the budget SG category. Three piece parallel joined necks and some of them are one-piece Mahogany bodies
  • Tokai jap guitars are amazing quality and VFM, the Korean ones obviously are quite good for the money 
  • Ah, the infamous Tokai-eh.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom