Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Fancy an Ibanez but which one?

What's Hot
chrisoldroydchrisoldroyd Frets: 11
edited December 2018 in Guitar
i quote fancy picking up an Ibanez but have no clue which one to get or which ones are good and which to avoid. Anyone an expert on them and can shed any light?

Thanks
chris
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• neilgneilg Frets: 94
    edited December 2018
    I suppose it depends on what type/shape of guitar you're looking for but I think I've found my ideal guitar in the FRM200, it's got a neck that feels exactly like my Les Paul but a body that feels like my Jem.
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3055
    Would entirely depend on your budget. The RG550 is what made them what they are today and could be found around £700 now days. The Prestige guitars are very nice but more pricey, worth it though. 

• i quote fancy picking up an Ibanez but have no clue which one to get or which ones are good and which to avoid. Anyone an expert on them and can shed any light?

Thanks
    chris
    What type of music are you planning on playing on it? The Ibanez range is one of the broadest and most diverse of all the major manufacturers, from shred machines to jazz boxes and everything in-between. 
  • longjawlongjaw Frets: 423
    Love my AS-200 Artist, covers everything from jazz to blues and classic rock.
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4110
    edited December 2018
    I found the necks of Ibanez Jem too wide and I think they sllowed me down.  My js1000 was perfect and sounded really good,  wish i kept it.  My js1200 was lacking something and i didn't like the fret profile.   My acoustic euphoria ep9 has a very skinny neck and plays like an electric , it looks awesome and sounds pretty nice but I think I need a fatter neck on an acoustic really.    
  • BGGBGG Frets: 689
    I'm liking the new AZ range.
    #thebatesmotelband
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72486
    Floral Jem.

Because it’s the most ridiculous and most brilliant guitar ever.

I should have bought that one
    last year...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2980
    Perhaps this......

Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • polotskapolotska Frets: 116
    The John Scofield JSM100 is a really nice, slightly altered AS200.

I like the JEMs, too.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28495
    Early 90s Talman with the Resoncast body. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • StavrosStavros Frets: 337
    I’m absolutely not an Ibanez expert, but I do have a nice Ghostrider for sale in the classifieds. I see you’re in Newcastle, I’m in Wetherby so you are welcome to try if you are interested.
    I love my brick
  • The rc520 is an underrated gem. Lovely warm tone, especially with a bit of a gain, although it cleans up nicely with the coil split giving you some tonal variety too. Bit of a Fender-ish neck, unlike a lot of Ibanez models. I had the rc320 and that was brilliant, but the 520 is even better.
  • maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3137
    edited December 2018
    If you suffer with heavy guitars have a look at the RS/Sabre range, I think that asa general rule buy Japanese manufactured Ibanez’s befor Korean etc but some idea of what type of guitar your looking for would be helpful. However assuming we are talking rock not jazz ( okay @ICBM you proved a point!) then RG550 would be the best place to start
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    Having looked at the OP's other posts for some context, he's a beginner so might be overtaxed with a locking vibrato... Maybe a hard-tail (fixed bridge) RG series guitar? I'm a snob: Ibanez have to be Japanese-built (Prestige or J-Custom, nowadays [or American, less of those about, though]) for me. I've got four Japanese Ibanez. Older ones often seem to have more consistently good-sounding woods.
  • DLM said:
    Having looked at the OP's other posts for some context, he's a beginner so might be overtaxed with a locking vibrato... Maybe a hard-tail (fixed bridge) RG series guitar? I'm a snob: Ibanez have to be Japanese-built (Prestige or J-Custom, nowadays [or American, less of those about, though]) for me. I've got four Japanese Ibanez. Older ones often seem to have more consistently good-sounding woods.
    For fixed bridge then I'd suggest the RGRT421. I nearly bought one, but went for a second-hand Jackson instead and wish I hadn't...
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• Rather fond of my S521 - twin humbuckers but with tapped tones available. Thin S body means it's a very light guitar too and the fixed bridge is solid as a rock.

• MelodicLydianMelodicLydian Frets: 13
    edited December 2018
    DLM said:
    If you are into music where the whammy bar is used I'd say still go that way as it a technique to learn. I can't speak for the very entry level stuff but the thing with an Ibanez Edge is once setup unless you want to change string gauge or are wanting a different tuning it is probably more reliable than a fixed bridge - you can go back to a guitar a month later and it is still perfectly in tune. String changes aren't any more difficult as long as you do one at a time.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Prestige S type if my new one is anything to go by. Spinal surgery meant I was limited to my Stray and Tele. Needed something that did what my off a guitars did but at less weight. The Prestige S type I found is awesome, powerful, light and easy to play. And at the price so cheap
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    @Evilmags Good to see you again, Mags! :)

@MelodicLydian I quite agree – as long as one invests enough in a quality double-locking system. Cheap Floyd-alikes on "beginner guitars" are the sort of aggro no one needs. Edge, Lo-Pro Edge, Original Floyd Rose, Gotoh, the decent Schallers: they should all see you right. Edge Zero is OK, as is Edge Pro.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    I always wanted a 10th anniversary