Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

The forum, its present and its future

What's Hot

Comments

• Yeah I like to think of myself as basically a British Steve Vai.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_Fab said:
    @digitalscream ;;  The only real suggestion I have for the new software is an 'ignore' function that really does ignore. - i.e. if A has B on ignore, A cannot see any posts by B.  A cannot even see that a post has been made by B (so no ability to click on their semi-hidden post to read it), and all quotes of B's posts by other people are invisible to A.

If you want to ignore someone's output, it should mean exactly that - you cannot see it at all - and the only way to see it is to un-ignore them again.

I have no current desire to ignore anyone but a proper, comprehensive ignore function would go a long way to keeping the peace in future.

The existing system is akin to two drunks arguing in the street, and then being separated by a police officer - but you can still see his lips move and his friends are also quoting what he just said !  
    Yep, it's a good call and I've already got some ideas on that. Ignoring quotes is somewhat harder - what do you do when somebody you're not ignoring quotes someone you are? Hide their post too? Just hide the quote, thus removing the context from it?

My current thinking is that there will be two levels to the ignore function - first is "Hide their posts, but let me see them if I really want to", pretty much as it works here (but having hopefully solved the quote issue), and the second is "Don't let me know they even exist". The latter will even hide threads that they've started, I think.

Nobody, however, will be able to ignore admins or moderators.
    I beg to differ...anyone at all can ignore the mods / admins...it's just not a forum feature (and presumably if applied in the wrong context could lead to sanctions :D

If more people exercised their own ignore functionality then I dare say the world would be a better place.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I genuinely don't understand the need for an ignore button. If you don't like someone's post, you just ignore it! You literally have to do nothing! Surely it takes more effort to react to something than, well, not react? How little self control must you have to require a bit of code to do it for you? Mental!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2768
    Surely we ought to have a button that automatically filters out any posts that include “Surely ... “. followed by some simplistic one sided view of the world ;)

ignore is a very useful button I find, because it keeps my stress levels low, by not seeing another vitriolic insulting post from the same person over and over again on every other subject and I think it might stop some of the arguments in forums which blow out of proportion if the parties aren’t riled to respond over and over 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • sev112 said:
    Surely we ought to have a button that automatically filters out any posts that include “Surely ... “. followed by some simplistic one sided view of the world ;)

ignore is a very useful button I find, because it keeps my stress levels low, by not seeing another vitriolic insulting post from the same person over and over again on every other subject and I think it might stop some of the arguments in forums which blow out of proportion if the parties aren’t riled to respond over and over 
    I'm actually wondering whether I should include a mandatory "ignore" flag that the admins can set when two people are going at it and refuse to stop. Might cut down on the potential cooler visits, but it might also upset people a bit.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8713
    If we cooler them then everyone can ignore them
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Send them to their own arena, aka lock them in a hidden thread 
  • Welcome home Mr FX! I knew that was you the other week :)
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• Welcome home Mr FX! I knew that was you the other week :)
    Que?

Bye!

• Roland said:
    May be put coolerings to a people’s vote?
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26614
    edited December 2018
    Roland said:
    That hasn't exactly worked wonderfully so far The point is that we're no longer working within the limitations of Vanilla, so we might be able to put some better tools together.

Like, for example, putting a time limit on cooler visits so we don't have to remember when to bring people out.
    <space for hire>
  • Another sole developer here - the efficiency of the single dev is enormous - you know how the whole damn thing works. You build it efficiently with lots of debug points to make your life easy.
    I have two large projects that run on my CMS - complicated things not brochures - plus a dozen standard sites.

I migrated a forum from PHPBB to SMF for a friend - and you keep thinking "why did they do it like that" .. and "that's a sloppy use of the database." plus they all seem to go mad on privileges upon privileges.

A Gumtree like Sales thing at a cheapish rate would surely bring in money.
    I look forward to extra super search functions!
  • PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3396
    Roland said:
    Just put everyone in the cooler - that way no one will see any posts from anyone, therefore no arguments. Ever.

You’re welcome. 
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    tFB Trader
    *sorry, just found this thread and I’ll be buggered if I’m reading 9 pages ;)

I agree that the ignore feature should do what it says on the tin. Likewise for users who start every other sentence with the word “so” :D
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    lonestar said:

I agree that the ignore feature should do what it says on the tin. Likewise for users who start every other sentence with the word “so” :D
    So?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • lonestar said:

lightweight.

• Paul7926Paul7926 Frets: 227
    Send them to their own arena, aka lock them in a hidden thread 
    Two posters enter. One poster leaves.

We could sell tickets.  :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11305
    lonestar said:

Is that a request for a new feature?
    10reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalf said:
    lonestar said:

Is that a request for a new feature?
    I'm not experienced in coding but that sounds a pain in the arse
    PSN id : snakey33stoo
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WYNIR0WYNIR0 Frets: 359
    I for one am HUGELY upset about this news. I honestly don't believe it  you have come to this decision. You've let us all down........You're not letting Richards Guitars back!?! 

This place is no fun anymore, he's the best plaything a forum ever had.

monquixote said:
    I agree with WYNIRO much as personally I think he is a total cock.