Each to their own (guitar abuse/improvement content)

What's Hot
SnagsSnags Frets: 5389
Hey @pmbomb if you ever think about doing this to yours, just give me dibs on it before you start, eh?

https://youtu.be/YjISNgU1KSU 

(Apologies if the link doesn't embed properly, have totally forgotten how to embed YouTube stuff)
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• pmbombpmbomb Frets: 1169
    edited December 2018
    I can't believe what I just saw.

That ain't happening on my watch.

All the wear on mine is from use or mishaps.

I'm particularly fond of the divot out of the back. Seller told me he dropped a pedal on it and kept the chip for years until it got lost.

Your money is safe. Very welcome to a go though. My teacher played it yesterday, it rocks in good hands. It's the same model as Pete's just a 97 not a 94.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    I dunno which is worse, the relicing, the singing dialogue or the cod blues noodling in the background. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • That is madder than 'crystal lattices'. I wonder if there is also a sub-set of the classic car world which resorts to throwing paint stripper over the body work in order to get an 'old car patina', or spraying inside the doors and box sections with acid in order to get that authentic, 'never rust proofed by the factory and now totally rotted out' look?
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5389
    For the record, I'm firmly of the "It's his guitar, he can do what he wants to it" school of thought.  However, it's not something I'd choose to do to it if it were mine.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    That is madder than 'crystal lattices'. I wonder if there is also a sub-set of the classic car world which resorts to throwing paint stripper over the body work in order to get an 'old car patina', or spraying inside the doors and box sections with acid in order to get that authentic, 'never rust proofed by the factory and now totally rotted out' look?
    I’m pretty  sure there is and they then lacquer over it to keep it make it last.

I’m in the let it age naturally and buy an old one if you want it to look old camp, but it was interesting to watch the process.       
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22999
    The casual way he goes about it made my jaw drop and I don't think the end result looks very good.  But it is fascinating to watch the spray crawling over the surface like a fungus as it evaporates.
  • some relics look pretty cool. to me it just looks like horrible scratches. way to ruin a nice guitar but each to his own
  • I remember getting my Valvestate over 25 years ago and not liking the newness of it. I stubbed my cigarettes out on it occasionally to make it look older.

I didn't realise it would only take about two years for it to look used.
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10563
    tFB Trader
    I actually rather like the result 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7157
    TWAT
    Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 
  • TenebrousTenebrous Frets: 1332
    I actually rather like the result 
    Same. Not really a gold top person at all, but I definitely think it looks better afterwards than before.
  • RMJRMJ Frets: 1274
    Didn't realise it was that easy to crack nitro lacquer.  Why on earth do people pay so much for Murphy to do it with a razor?
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4189
    I dropped a Trace Elliot Bass head on my old LP Standard many moons ago, made a lovely hole in the side of the body :)
  • ColsCols Frets: 7066
    Grim.  Hopefully it was just a Chibson that he massacred.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    I'm just glad it was a Gibson he massacred and not a Fender. That would've been unbearable.
  • pmbombpmbomb Frets: 1169
    Cols said:
    Grim.  Hopefully it was just a Chibson that he massacred.
    Sadly not - it's '94 LP Classic, like mine just a couple of years older.