Picking an LP style guitar?

What's Hot
infernoukinfernouk Frets: 8
edited December 2018 in Guitar
Hey guys

So ive tried a few different guitar shapes and now know the full thickness LP is the one for me.

I have owned an epiphone black beauty, and currently own an LTD EC1000 and an Epiphone Standard (with  jazz/jb pickups)

Im selling the EC1000 as i dont like its thin body or the thin wide neck

I like the epiphone necks and thickness, so my thoughts were to sell of the EC1000 and invest in a better standard LP model.

The issue I face, what do I go for? I considered a Gibson Studio Faded to get the shape and thickness for a reasonable price, but after further searching many recommend Japanese clones of Gibson LP models as a best choice?

Appreciate some guidance, i mainly play metalcore/metal with down tuning if that matters, but i dont want EMG's as i just dont like their tone! 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• dbphoto said:
    ha cheers, but im not sure i want to commit to P90's over humbuckers!
  • dbphotodbphoto Frets: 716
    It doesn’t have P90’s, it has humbuckers.
  • dbphoto said:
    It doesn’t have P90’s, it has humbuckers.
    oh when i searched for it on youtube it had p90's as your ad has no pics! do you have any pics?
  • dbphotodbphoto Frets: 716
    The pic vanished for some reason:

• dbphoto said:
    The pic vanished for some reason:

Cheers, ill do some googling, that finish it a bit too 'metal' for me ha, looking for a more classic look, but ill do some further research. 

In the mean time, anyone have further recommendation?
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5389
    Ultimately it's going to come down to probably 80% emotion and 20% sound/feel. The emotional side is: how important is it to you to have Gibson on the headstock?  If you get a Tokai or Eastman or some other brand, will it never feel quite right even if it's a stunning guitar?

If you really don't care about the label, only about the instrument, then you have loads of options, and the only real advice boils down to the old favourite of get out there and play a few (or turn into a flipper trying to find The One) :)
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2907
    edited December 2018
    The Epiphone LP Custom Pro is really nice. I'm currently borrowing one and have to say it sounds better than my Gibson SG, but then I prefer LP tones I think. The Probuckers are really good and even split reasonably well. I'm just not sure if I want to buy it due to the weight, it's a shock to the system after using an SG for so long! The necks on the pros are a bit chunkier and nicer than the standard models which are quite thin and flat.
  • The Gibson Studio models are pretty good bang for your buck it you are looking for a full fat LP GuitarGuitar has then new for £999:

If you're looking at copies Edwards are pretty good and cheaper too, I had a gold top one and it was a cracking guitar if a little heavy weightwise.
  • Snags said:
    Ultimately it's going to come down to probably 80% emotion and 20% sound/feel. The emotional side is: how important is it to you to have Gibson on the headstock?  If you get a Tokai or Eastman or some other brand, will it never feel quite right even if it's a stunning guitar?

If you really don't care about the label, only about the instrument, then you have loads of options, and the only real advice boils down to the old favourite of get out there and play a few (or turn into a flipper trying to find The One) :)
    im not massively bothered about the headstock name, but i think id like to atleast try owning a gibson knowing i can always sell it on at no loss if i buy smart, but if theres a no brainer japanese version that will give me everything for less, im all for that too
  • TTBZ said:
    The Epiphone LP Custom Pro is really nice. I'm currently borrowing one and have to say it sounds better than my Gibson SG, but then I prefer LP tones I think. The Probuckers are really good and even split reasonably well. I'm just not sure if I want to buy it due to the weight, it's a shock to the system after using an SG for so long! The necks on the pros are a bit chubkier and nicer than the standard models which are quite thin and flat.
    Yeah the epi customs are nice but they are so cheap i can barely believe they can be called as good or better than the gibsons, the pickups atleast must be sub gibson level for cost saving? i quite like weighty guitars for hammering chords on!
  • The Gibson Studio models are pretty good bang for your buck it you are looking for a full fat LP GuitarGuitar has then new for £999:

If you're looking at copies Edwards are pretty good and cheaper too, I had a gold top one and it was a cracking guitar if a little heavy weightwise.
    I wouldnt buy new for any guitar so mainly looking on the used market, I had a good look at edwards, but 1 i cant find a uk seller of a model i like (appreciate if you know where I could find some), and 2 apparently they are chinese parts assembled in japan and not as good as other clones? 
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Doesn't the Les Paul Studio have a thin neck?
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    Fret King do and excellent copy of the LP. The Eclat.  
  • 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    The PRS SE Bernie Marsden is an amazing quality clone of a chunky-necked Les Paul. Only real difference is that it only has 3 knobs as opposed to 4.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33806
    The PRS SE Singlecuts are good value and you will struggle to find a better setup on a guitar from SE Asia.

If you are down-tuning then the slightly longer scale helps and well.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2907
    +1 for the Bernie Marsden, especially the new one with satin neck. The ones I've played have been much brighter/louder/more resonant than any Epiphone I've played unplugged. Didn't get a chance to plug them in though but I imagine it'd need a pickup swap to get the best out of it. Upper fret access is miles better than a "real" LP which feels so clunky in comparison. Weirdly I didn't like the SE245 which I thought was meant to be basically the same neck, it was just a bit too wide and a bit too fat for my liking. They need to do a medium/medium option :)
  • infernouk said:
    The Gibson Studio models are pretty good bang for your buck it you are looking for a full fat LP GuitarGuitar has then new for £999:

I wouldnt buy new for any guitar so mainly looking on the used market, I had a good look at edwards, but 1 i cant find a uk seller of a model i like (appreciate if you know where I could find some), and 2 apparently they are chinese parts assembled in japan and not as good as other clones? 

I bought mine second hand and I don’t think there is a UK distributer – they pop up on eBay and reverb fairly frequently.

Not sure on the China thing they are finished in the ESP factory in Japan – where the bits are made who knows and Edwards are not saying. The quality on mine was easily on par with modern Gibson USA guitars that I’ve owned.

That said the faded Gibson LP's also look pretty good and are incredable value for a US guitar!

• If you are interested in a Gibson Faded Studio, keep an eye on the GuitarGuitar website. Although the guitar isn’t on there at present, I did a part exchange 2 days ago. I gave them a 2010 Faded Brown Studio, which I’d had for most of it’s life ( though I did buy it secondhand from a Music Radar formite) and hardly ever played. I originally bought it to mod, but never did, so the guitar is in good nick. I sold it in a Gibson hard case which had a little damage to the backend, but it was otherwise OK.