Tips for removing a stuck speaker?

TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2902
Trying to swap the speaker out in my combo but it's not budging from the baffle! Yes I've taken the screws out but it's still stuck tight, must be from the paint or something on the baffle. I can pick the whole combo up with the speaker frame, properly stuck on there!

Any suggestions to try and loosen it off without damaging the speaker? Tried heating with a hair dryer but didn't make any difference.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Don't try to yank it out with brute force. You will tear the speaker cone. The gasket stays stuck and the rest of the speaker rips away.

You need to use something thin and metal and just work it under the speaker gasket until it comes free. Something like a feeler gauge or palette knife. Dont pull the speaker out until it is 100% free. If you pull on the speaker whilst even a small part of the gasket is still stuck down, you will damage it.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72483
    What amp is it? It's often best to remove the baffle if you can, so you can work the knife all round the speaker as Bygone_Tones said. I find the large blade of a Swiss Army knife is ideal, it's sharp enough to get right into the gap but strong enough to apply a bit of force.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2902
    edited December 2018
    Good job it didn't loosen when I was trying to brute force it out then! Was worried I'd damage it but had a quick play up loud afterwards and all sounds normal still.

Cheers I'll try getting a knife edge in it then.
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7888
    I had the same thing with my Peavey Classic 30. Was putting in a Celestion V Type, but old speaker had welded onto baffle.  It’s a paint curing thing. 

I just got got a thin feeler gauge, and worked it around the edge gently. It freed off quickly.