abw1989 makes a Jazzmonster - Completed!

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• abw1989abw1989 Frets: 635
    Some good progress made today. All of the routing and drilling is now complete:

I made my own templates and routed out for basically a Les Paul control cavity. Two humbucker routes on the top side:

I used an auger bit to drill the output jack hole:

I then took onboard @MLten80 's advice of a 'long ass drill' to run the wiring channels. Absolute bargain, £2 from Toolstation in a range of sizes. You'll also notice my incredibly high tech method of keeping the drill level so ensure I didn't go through the top or bottom of the body:

I drilled the holes for the bridge ground and neck pick up to pick up selector separately. I'm now getting everything dry fit and will probably get it all wired up to check how it plays before committing to getting it finished:

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    Looking good!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7770
    edited May 2019
    On it's way! I'd also run a round over bit along the top so you have a clean radius.

I recommend some grain filler later as that sapele will be quite porous. I used some on a project and even with a slurry oil finish it sank in alot.
    @Winny_Pooh I've been around with a 6mm round over back and top, I might need to blend it into the body contours a bit though I agree.

I had already thought I would need grain filler and will probably be getting a can of that along with sanding sealer, black nitro and gloss from @SteveRobinson , most people seem to highly rate his products! That or farm it out to one of the talented finishers on the forum.
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7031
    tFB Trader
    Thank you. Just to say that black is probably one of the hardest colours as it shows every imperfection. If you choose black be sure to sand and fill perfectly!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Okay, all done bar some sort of finish!

I got this wired up over the weekend and I think it's great, definitely a different sound than any of my other guitars, especially with the P90 in the neck. One thing I had not accounted for is weight, loading with electrics (albeit without a finish) this comes in at 9lb 11oz!!

Seeing it all dry fitted now, I am verging to towards some sort of natural finish, any body have any experiences with Tru-Oil?

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    Looks great! But at 9lb 11oz I’d be tempted to finish it in helium. ;)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3203
    Tru oil is very easy to do and you have a greater margin for fixing any problems that occur along the way. When I finished some sapele in it, I grain filled with rustins mahogany grain filler - it gave a great red-brown hue to the pores and made the layers of tru oil sit more easily.
    @Teyeplayer thanks for that. I was wondering if I'd need to grain fill or not but that has pretty much told me. I'm just wondering if it would be be worth staining the plugs I used to plug the holes from where I positioned the tailpiece incorrectly.
    edited July 2019
    The finish has started!

Done in primer so far ready for gloss black. In the end I gave it to a local sprayer @EMHCustom ;

Also got a headstock decal from Rothko and Frost:

I've swapped out the monster for meister because German words amuse me although in my haste I forgot to specify capitals letters for the meister part, oops.
    Body colour has started to go on, a clear gloss will go on after this:

Headstock has also been finished in black and the logos applied:

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Gloss applied, fine sanding and polishing to go:

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Body all sanded and polished:

The finish is finished, final assembly is coming along nicely!

Decided against the JB in the bridge, hence the gap, and I'm going to go for another HB sized P90. I have more than enough humbucker equipped guitars!

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7770
    Looking great, headstock came out brill :)
    And finally finished!

0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Awesome, good job!

Came here looking for inspiration to make my own guitar body- great to see what you've been through with this one. Looks like it came good in the end :-)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom