Recommend an acoustic for an electric player!

What's Hot
I *think* I'm after an acoustic. I've had many over the years but never bonded with any and I think its they never feel comfortable - either neck profile or string height or body size. 

It might be that they just aren't for me, but I fancy one again.

Budget isn't huge - around £4-500 - and second hand preferably. 

But, apart from the sage advice of "try as many as you can" (which isn't always easy in NI given the paucity of selection in our few shops), are there any brands or styles that I should focus on?

Lowish action is a must and, probably, a smaller body so I can play it while slouching on a sofa. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RaveRave Frets: 268
    edited December 2018
    Tangelwood TW45 Florentine. You'll have to find one secondhand though! They retailed at around £750 new, I picked mine up for £200 with a hardcase in mint condition. Solid mahogany back, sides and neck, solid spruce top, maple binding around the neck and body, lovely flat rosewood board. The B-Band A3T they're fitted with can be a bit temperamental but I play mine acoustically. I've had mine four years and have played it to death..

65cm scale length and a small body with florentine cutaway, super comfortable to play and easy to carry around!

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Fender California? Not tried them yet though.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3313
    I'd look at a Taylor GS Mini. New it falls just outside your budget, unless you get a deal, but used would be within it
  • RaveRave Frets: 268
    Fender California? Not tried them yet though.
    I've played one...feel very, very cheap!
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2360
    Faith maybe? I like them and I'm mainly an electric player, and there are at least a few dealers here which stock them.

Taylors too, but the all-solid ones will be outside your budget, probably even used.

Furch might sneak in at second-hand prices- I'm not sure if I'd say they're as electric-friendly as the other two, though I still like them, so who knows?
  • I have always found the Taylor necks to be slimmer than Martins etc. which was good for me coming from electrics. The newish academy series concert model might be worth a look (think it is the a12). 
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    Ovation. Try one.

They are not popular these days, so you can get a great guitar for not a lot of money. 

Necks are perfect for electric players and bending is almost as easy. 

• ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2026
    Cheers for the suggestions so far. I'll see what's about to try out
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31631
    Definitely try Faith, my Venus was £300 second hand, and it fits your requirements. 
  • Faith are excellent.
    Try also Epiphone MasterbiltCentury series archtops if thats the sound you might like. The smallest model ("Olympic"?) is only slightly bigger than a parlour size. I have the middle-sized Zenith and as an electric player I like it very much but as the new price of these increases with body size you may find that the Olympic is at the top of your range and the Zenith is outside it. I've no idea of s/h prices, I'd never dream of selling mine.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    Had a play on a a Fender Paramount travel guitar today - its not as tiny as that would suggest. Was very nice - solid woods, 14th fret join, short scale length, low-ish action.

It's a possibility. 
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3594
    Fuengi said:
    Ovation. Try one.

They are not popular these days, so you can get a great guitar for not a lot of money. 

Necks are perfect for electric players and bending is almost as easy. 

Thats a good call, watch some old glen campbell tv shows for confirmation.

Don't get too hung up on the action, it can be lowered provided A) string gauge is considerred. B) the nut and saddle have adequate height for filing/adjustment. C) you can do the adjustment yourself or budger for that in the price. Monster action could be a symptom of a bigger problem so things like a neck reset or repairing a lose internal strut could make the purchase prohibitive unless it is very cheap.

• Th4fonzTh4fonz Frets: 247
    you cant beat a faith, so a used faith would be my choice in that price range.
    Thanks chaps - still looking and Faith definitely on the radar. 
    Think I've played every acoustic under £600 in and around Belfast - 2nd hand market is practically non-existent - and I've ended up with a Washburn Heritage - neck felt as good or better than most, cut-away Dread shape and sounds great. The Faith Saturn / Venus just didn't seem to warrant the extra cash, although both were great - it's primarily for noodling at home, so I'm happy.

Thanks for all the advice. I'm off to grow my beard to hipster length and put on a pair of dungarees
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    ^ Nice, glad you're happy! :D

Where did you get to try the Washburns, out of interest? Maybe I just missed them...
    Belfast Music Supplies out near the Dundonald Ice Bowl. Only had a few in, primarily a Tanglewood stockist. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Oh OK, I didn't make it out there. Thanks for the heads-up :)