Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Jumping ship to Android.

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11876
    siremoon said:
    Tried Android for a solid 6 months earlier in the year and I could get buy but it always felt like that. So went back when the new Iphones were released September. Happy and relaxed and enjoying being back and feel my phone is back in my life rather than some awkward almost there type of thing.
    I think I'd be seriously concerned if my state of happiness, calmness and enjoyment of life was contingent on the form factor and OS of my mobile phone.  I treat my phone as a piece of equipment I use from time to time not as something which forms an integral part of my existence.
    I take what he meant is that he had been using iPhone for so long it just felt familiar.  It is like living in a place for years and move away to a new town for 6 months, going back is like going back home.  You just know where everything is, where the post office is, know what time the bus run, know the strange back alleys for short cuts.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28207
    siremoon said:

I think I'd be seriously concerned if my state of happiness, calmness and enjoyment of life was contingent on the form factor and OS of my mobile phone. 
    Indeed.

I didn't much like the iPhone I got with my last job, but it was minor niggles. It did phone calls and inferweb and maps and stuff.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33798
    edited December 2018
    Sporky said:
    siremoon said:

I think I'd be seriously concerned if my state of happiness, calmness and enjoyment of life was contingent on the form factor and OS of my mobile phone. 
    Indeed.

I didn't much like the iPhone I got with my last job, but it was minor niggles. It did phone calls and inferweb and maps and stuff.
    Indeed.
    So far I am liking some things about Android, dislike some things, but in the end it is just a phone.

I particularly like having choice over whether to use face recognition, fingerprint or both.

The Facebook app is typically a complete pain in the ass- videos autoplay, way too many notifications and it is difficult to turn them all off, or at least time consuming. I imagine that is the same on the iPhone.
    Edit: Managed to turn them all off- fucking irritating to do though.

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    I went for the One Plus 6, excellent phone, camera and very fast charging
  • Whenever I try an iOS device it feels like I've had one of my arms tied behind my back. Don't get me wrong there's a lot of clever and great easy to use stuff but I can't handle how much of it is restricted. I know being able to see the whole system folder would freak people out but it has the exact opposite effect on me. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3322
    I’m not a professional muso, but all of my demos are genuinely done either on my phone or iPad, I switch to the Mac for mixing etc but even then I control that from my iPad with logic remote. 
    Ive enjoyed among music more since moving to Apple than I ever did with 
    android/Microsoft. 

I used android phones for years still do I’ll do for work but I would t have one for personal use anymore. 
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33798
    grungebob said:
    I’m not a professional muso, but all of my demos are genuinely done either on my a) phone or iPad, I switch to the Mac for mixing etc but even then I control that from my b) iPad with logic remote. 
    android/Microsoft. 

I used android phones for years still do I’ll do for work but I would t have one for personal use anymore. 
    Have you ever used (see my annotations above)

a) a Zoom or Sound Devices mobile recorder.
    b) a proper control surface (Mackie Control, SSL Nucleus, Slate Raven, Eucon controller)

In both cases you get a much better experience that does what you need to do without compromise (or at least fewer compromises).

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11876

For the majority of people not being able to see that is a plus, it means they can't fook it up.

I just don't tinker anymore, don't customise, my desktop wallpaper is the default one because the only time i'd see it is when i boot up or shut down, the rest of the time it is taken up by Outlook/Mail/Chrome/Adobe stuff.  

In terms of "ecosystem", you are just swapping one to the other.  Both have their own walls, just one is larger than the other, how close to the edge you really use? down to the person.

These days I store my files on Google Drive/Dropbox on the cloud, both of which you can access very easily on the iPhone so there is a filing system, a cloud base one too so you never lose it. 

Having a more locked down phone also means I don't spend ages fiddling with it, just get on and use it.  The whole system is so smart like when i upgraded from the iPhone 6 to iPhone XR, it asked me to put my old phone next to it, it somehow ported stuff across, and then started to download the backup from iCloud.  The phone end up being just like the old one with new hardware.  Idiot proof.

I got Airpods last week, to pair it up it is simply
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28207
    RaymondLin said:

The whole system is so smart like when i upgraded from the iPhone 6 to iPhone XR, it asked me to put my old phone next to it, it somehow ported stuff across, and then started to download the backup from iCloud.  The phone end up being just like the old one with new hardware.  Idiot proof.
    Same thing going from a Moto G4 Plus to a G6 Plus.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3453
    I'm a Microsoft man, have a Windows 10 phone and pc and lappytop. The missus has an apple phone, it's stupid in my view not to use the same os as your home network, all my stuff talks to each other, the missus phone can't even connect to itself most of the time.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Not phones, but I love iPad for making music - if nothing else developers are forced to keep functionality fairly simple - Cubasis is a great example, loads of stuff, more than I need, but you can get your arms around it if untouched for a few months. As an occasional, very time poor, user, DAWs on computers do my head in.
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3322
    octatonic said:
    grungebob said:
    I’m not a professional muso, but all of my demos are genuinely done either on my a) phone or iPad, I switch to the Mac for mixing etc but even then I control that from my b) iPad with logic remote. 
    android/Microsoft. 

Have you ever used (see my annotations above)

a) a Zoom or Sound Devices mobile recorder.
    b) a proper control surface (Mackie Control, SSL Nucleus, Slate Raven, Eucon controller)

In both cases you get a much better experience that does what you need to do without compromise (or at least fewer compromises).

I don’t know any better but I don’t feel compromised, not only do I have these tools available to me but they came pretty much free bundled in with the phone and computer I liked the best. 

• wave100wave100 Frets: 150
    Well each to their own I suppose - whatever allows you to do the most music.
  • WolfetoneWolfetone Frets: 1479
    Headphone socket is insteresting - I personally found wired phones on a mobile device a nightmare - I was always breaking the cables. I see Samsung is now going socketless now after baiting apple for so long...
    A headphone socket is essential for me as my backing tracks are on my phone and my amp isn't wireless.