Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Been hankering for a PRS....but not at this price!

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• But they only do it because people get wound up and respond. Doh... 
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10220
    Hattigol said:
    DanR said:
    It’s always interesting in looking at what guitars the PRS haters own.

Never anything fun or exciting just the usual dull old man guitars.
    Quite right.

How's the R8, by the way?
    Brilliant. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonic said:
    There is no magic in the early PRS guitars, imho- although they are generally nice guitars.

Most (or at least many) 'players' did 3 things with them:

1) swapped the pickups- it is crazy what I see people paying for HFS and Vintage Bass pickups. They kinda suck.
    2) ditch the sweet switch and put in a tone pot.
    3) swap the 5 way to a Gibson style 3 way and maybe a push/pull on the tone out.

I did this with my '89 and it was a much, better guitar.
    Until the knife edge on the trem goes, and you need to replace the tuners  because they wear down.

Once you've done all that work you have a much less valuable guitar in a collectors world.
    I still sold mine back in 2010 and a second set of HFS/Vintage Bass pickups a few years later.

My PRS SC58 is a better made guitar.
    I’ve not played an 80s one but I do feel the latest ones are the best yet. IIRC both of mine are early to mid 00’s, great guitars but the new ones I’ve played have been as good or even nicer, especially with regards to stock pickups.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DanRDanR Frets: 1041
    Hattigol said:
    DanR said:
    It’s always interesting in looking at what guitars the PRS haters own.

Never anything fun or exciting just the usual dull old man guitars.
    Quite right.

How's the R8, by the way?
    Long gone.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8189
    Dan_Halen said:
    Hattigol said:
    Dan_Halen said:
    Hattigol said:
    Dan_Halen said:
    The dentist joke is so tired I just cringe whenever someone inevitably makes it to try and win a few lols.

People seem to be happy to buy an R8 or R9 for 4/5k from a shithouse company like Gibson but it’s PRS owners that cop all the flak. Give it a rest.
    Sorry. No hard fillings?
    Yawn. 
    You don't like that one?

Ok, what do you call a PRS fan who doesn't like tea?

Denis. 
    Not sure what is older... your jokes or your taste in guitars. Any thread that mentions PRS, give it a few posts and the inevitable morons appear with some lame dentist quips or horrendous dad jokes / puns. Every. Single. Time.
    Yeah, I can only apologise about my 'old' taste in guitars. Thanks for pointing it out.

By the way, how are that Strat and Tele of yours?
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11901
    Collings said:
    octatonic said:8
    There is no magic in the early PRS guitars, imho- although they are generally nice guitars.

Agree with this completly. I actually owned one of the very first PRS guitars in the country. Brought before Chandlers started importing them. It was a great guitar but do think the newer ones i now own arè superior in build quality and the current pickups are far better.

I am frequently amazed that people are prepared to believe that a guitar designer/builder will have made their best guitars at the start of their career, and gradually got worse after that.

Nice looking guitar but hardly a price a non-collector would want to pay. If somebody does buy it it’ll probably disappear into a collection.
    They are essentially claiming it's a museum piece. Maybe they are right, I'm not so sure.
    Hattigol said:
    I understood the dentist/PRS reference to come not just from the stereotype that they are wealthy but also that they are boring.

In other words, a brace of reasons?
    Mostly likely to be some very sour grapes stuck between the teeth 
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2380
    Collings said:
    octatonic said:8

Agree with this completly. I actually owned one of the very first PRS guitars in the country. Brought before Chandlers started importing them. It was a great guitar but do think the newer ones i now own arè superior in build quality and the current pickups are far better.

I am frequently amazed that people are prepared to believe that a guitar designer/builder will have made their best guitars at the start of their career, and gradually got worse after that.

Something to do with history maybe.....Leo, Orville...etc etc?
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7961
    edited December 2018
    Strat54 said:

Something to do with history maybe.....Leo, Orville...etc etc?

Stingray and L2000 basses are awesome. I honestly have no idea why L2000’s in particular aren’t more widely used, they sound great. The headstock is a little marmite but doesn’t look bad.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33798
    I’ve not played an 80s one but I do feel the latest ones are the best yet. IIRC both of mine are early to mid 00’s, great guitars but the new ones I’ve played have been as good or even nicer, especially with regards to stock pickups.
    Yeah they definitely are, at least IMHO.
    There was nothing wrong with the 80's instruments but Paul wasn't the best pickup designer at that time, which is why so many people swapped out the pickups, usually for Duncans.

That said, once I made my modifications that PRS was my main gigging guitar for over 10 years.