Les Paul Standard v Axcess - is it that different to play?

What's Hot
chris45chris45 Frets: 221
Has anyone A/B ed a standard Les Paul against an Axcess (stop tail)?  As far as I can see the difference is weight, neck access and body cut.  Do these make a genuine difference to the player?   Any thoughts appreciated.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    I have both - although my axcess does have a Floyd.      The main difference is how much less fight it puts up with a faster profiled neck and the neck joint.    The regular Les Pauls feel a bit clunky if I swap over - sometimes I like that heavier more solid feel but playing around the higher frets on a standard feels like hard work in comparison.   
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    I’ve tried the Alex Lifeson Axcess a while back which has a thinner body. A bit like the old Yamaha SG1300T.

As much as I’m a massive Rush fan. I didn’t get on with it. So I bought a PRS instead. But that was mainly down to the electronics feeling clumsy. But it felt like it was trying to be a Custom 22 if I’m honest. 
  • Paging @spark240 ;)

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

• chris45chris45 Frets: 221
    Cheers for the information.  I saw a LP Custom Axcess priced pretty much the same as the "normal" LP Custom and wondered what the pros / cons are.
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2086
    My Axcess has the Floyd also, I think its a mighty fine guitar, in fact I used it at the last Quad Jam and @Handsome_Chris I think got quite excited about seeing it !...Oh and he also did a cool setup and clean for me ..;-)

Obviously much lighter than standard due to the chunks of wood missing and chambers inside, not sute aht cost you have seen but anything between £1800 - £2200 I would favour the Axcess personally, subject to condition.

You could try mine....but I assume your in Jock land?    

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    chris45 said:
    Cheers for the information.  I saw a LP Custom Axcess priced pretty much the same as the "normal" LP Custom and wondered what the pros / cons are.
    If I had to keep just one it would be a tough call but the axcess is an easier gigging guitar while the standard probably has more character so I’d keep the axcess - tough call but for playability the axcess wins.  
  • chris45chris45 Frets: 221
    spark240 said:
    My Axcess has the Floyd also, I think its a mighty fine guitar, in fact I used it at the last Quad Jam and @Handsome_Chris I think got quite excited about seeing it !...Oh and he also did a cool setup and clean for me ..;-)

Obviously much lighter than standard due to the chunks of wood missing and chambers inside, not sute aht cost you have seen but anything between £1800 - £2200 I would favour the Axcess personally, subject to condition.

You could try mine....but I assume your in Jock land?    
    Thanks very much but I am in the frozen (well very chilly) north