Rate My Guitar

What's Hot

Comments

• slackerslacker Frets: 2269
    edited January 2019
    https://i.imgur.com/WCqW32k.jpg

That's the last submission from me. I'm not going to post a cherry Les Paul or 3 colour sunbust Strat. 
    6reaction image LOL 16reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • KahunaKahuna Frets: 90
    1994 MIJ (FujiGen) Foto Flame '62 reissue Strat, with Bare Knuckle Irish Tour pickups and Wilkinson WV6 vintage bridge.  Absolutely killer plank, with an amazing neck.

18reaction image LOL 15reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LTD EC1000...

Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

20reaction image LOL 10reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • grambogrambo Frets: 2
    edited January 2019

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DanDan Frets: 448
    62 Hotrod Strat

8reaction image LOL 17reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    CS 52 Tele
    7reaction image LOL 21reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    CS 62 Strat

6reaction image LOL 18reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    CS 56 Strat
    5reaction image LOL 19reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    R8

13reaction image LOL 15reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72945
    grambo said:

The Dropbox links won't embed directly, and for some reason the imgur ones don't want to either! But if it's the white Strat, wow awarded :). I don't normally like green guards but it would be unfair to lol it for that alone ;).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    grambo said:

The Dropbox links won't embed directly, and for some reason the imgur ones don't want to either! But if it's the white Strat, wow awarded :). I don't normally like green guards but it would be unfair to lol it for that alone ;).

So it's visible - for some reason it wouldn't upload or link... Yes, a 1961 Strat found string-less and knob-less in a house-clearance wardrobe last year. Turned out to be a refin done in the late 60s. The neck was relacquered in the early 70s. And the pick-guard had been changed. So I got a luthier to sort it out - he found a relic guard and knobs. Everything else is original. The sound is quite something! Got it up for sale here: https://www.newkingsroadguitars.com/product-page/1961-fender-stratocaster-refin-olympic-white
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72945
    grambo said:

So it's visible - for some reason it wouldn't upload or link... Yes, a 1961 Strat found string-less and knob-less in a house-clearance wardrobe last year. Turned out to be a refin done in the late 60s. The neck was relacquered in the early 70s. And the pick-guard had been changed. So I got a luthier to sort it out - he found a relic guard and knobs. Everything else is original. The sound is quite something! Got it up for sale here: https://www.newkingsroadguitars.com/product-page/1961-fender-stratocaster-refin-olympic-white
    I could only see it by quoting your post, selecting source mode, and copying the Dropbox link. Not sure why the imgur posts don't work - I tried that with those as well and it just comes up with a 404.

I honestly think it would look better with a less green guard (the originals are actually more of a greenish-grey colour) and knobs that match the pickup covers better, but it's cool anyway because of what it is.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31869
    That's very similar to my Olympic White '63, also refinished in the late 60s with a changed scratchplate...

http://i63.tinypic.com/2lljb11.jpg
    0reaction image LOL 8reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    p90fool said:
    That's very similar to my Olympic White '63, also refinished in the late 60s with a changed scratchplate...

http://i63.tinypic.com/2lljb11.jpg
    Interesting. Also, what happened to your headstock logo? Oddly, mine had originally been replaced by a weird letraset style transfer. Fortunately I found someone with a period correct one. Maybe there was a 'thing' where Strat owners in the late 1960s did some kind of trendy mod!
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31869
    It was John "the butcher" Birch. There are a few of these around, especially in the Midlands, with an extra switch added, a transition logo (or similar fake) and a late 60s scratchplate. According to Rob Williams, Birch used to remove the old celluloid ones and burn them because he liked the coloured flames. 

Roy wood had one too in the early days of Wizzard, in fact I thought it might've been mine until I finally tracked down a pic where you could see it was a slab board. If you have extra routing for an extra 3-way switch (this all happened before the 5-way was invented) it might even be yours!

http://i67.tinypic.com/2n8dg21.jpg

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • King85King85 Frets: 631
    edited January 2019

10reaction image LOL 18reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    p90fool said:
    It was John "the butcher" Birch. There are a few of these around, especially in the Midlands, with an extra switch added, a transition logo (or similar fake) and a late 60s scratchplate. According to Rob Williams, Birch used to remove the old celluloid ones and burn them because he liked the coloured flames. 

Roy wood had one too in the early days of Wizzard, in fact I thought it might've been mine until I finally tracked down a pic where you could see it was a slab board. If you have extra routing for an extra 3-way switch (this all happened before the 5-way was invented) it might even be yours!

http://i67.tinypic.com/2n8dg21.jpg

That's very interesting. I think mine is all original electronically - certainly the luthier made no mention of altered switching. And the logo on the headstock is different (I would post a picture but i still can't seem to upload photos on my Pixlebook). And the previous owner never really left north London. Shame about the changes...
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MajorscaleMajorscale Frets: 1566
    Collings City Limits Goldtop

8reaction image LOL 8reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • kt66kt66 Frets: 315
    11reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2431
    edited January 2019
    Way back on page 15 I posted a pic of my 37 year old bound Tele that got a lot of love (thanks guys). Generally the thread indicates fairly conservative tastes when it comes to awarding LOLs and WOWs so here comes one that's going to be contentious. Certainly not for the Tele purists D

8reaction image LOL 10reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom