necks on the EB Axis / other variants on the EVH thingamajig

What's Hot
My quest for a shreddy guitar for a person that doesn't like shreddy guitars continues.

How is the neck profile on these types of guitars? 

are they weirdly skinny?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7788
    edited December 2018
    They are skinny. But as the width is narrow they are not uncomfortable like the wide/thin neck profiles. 
    It feels more like a scaled down Fender neck.
  • cheers @Winny_Pooh ;
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2910
    edited December 2018
    Not sure if the Axis is the same but I found the Luke 3 I played a while back really effortless to play. It felt tiny but not uncomfortable, I'm used to a Gibson rounded 50s profile and it didnt make my hand cramp up like a lot of thinner necks do. Must be because it's narrower too as @Winny_Pooh pointed out. Great guitars anyway.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14319
    edited December 2018 tFB Trader
    I'm like you @mburekenge - I don't like the regular shred based necks - But I do like the EB Axis - still based on the original M/Man EVH - slimmer nut width but a round deep C, almost D profile  gives it comfortable depth - Almost a unique profile - The other key issue is the played in feel with no lacquer, just a gun stock oil/wax finish that feels silky smooth - When I say slimmer nut width it is more around the Fender nut width, so around 1 5/8" ( don't have exact dimensions to hand but that ball park)

To me they are less of a stereotype shred machine
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14526
    How is the neck profile on these types of guitars? 
    The Axis neck profile is asymmetric. Its deepest point is under the D string. The feel is chunky like a vintage Telecaster on the bass side and slimmer on the treble side.

How "weirdly skinny" this makes it is subjective. I find the Axis profile no less speedy than a Charvel San Dimas.

My quest for a shreddy guitar for a person that doesn't like shreddy guitars continues.
    Define shreddy guitar. Somewhere out there on t'Interwebz, there must be video of Alex Lifeson, widdling away on a Gibson Howard Roberts Fusion.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006
    I’ve got an Axis and have played the Peavey Wolfgang. It’s the narrow nut rather than the neck depth that I find to be the issue with my banana like fingers. I actually thought the Peavey felt slightly wider and (for me anyway) more comfortable 
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4190
    Try the Petrucci models if you want a shred machine with a comfy neck
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I have a Fender made EVH Wolfgang (see page 2 of the rate my guitar thread), and whilst it's width is narrow it's certainly not super skinny, certainly nothing like my Ibanez JEM.