Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Banning of Gender Stereotyping in adverts.....

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• randella said:
    randella said:
    ICBM said:
    EricTheWeary said:

You’ll love the Channel 4 player , if you FF through the ads it bounces you back to the start of the ads and won’t let you play any more of the programme until they’ve played.
    I don’t find that a problem at all. I just have another window open in the background with something else on - usually here - and bring that to the front until the ad has finished.
    Doesn’t work on the TV ( or my TV anyway).Although I’m struggling to think of the last thing on Channel 4 I went out of my way to watch. 

C4 or More4 or All4 or whatever it’s called this week has a great world drama section, if that floats your boat. The Swedish effort “Thicker than Water” is particularly good.

I found the ads were tolerable, and as a bonus they got fewer in number with each break the longer you watched something. Towards the end it was pretty much only 20 seconds of Lexus sting and you were back in. Lately it’s been jacked right up to the full three minutes each time though, not sure if it’s just for Christmas but it’s noticeable. 
    I think the last thing was that series set in East Germany in the 80s. That was really good. 
    Yeah I need to watch that - good reminder! I’ve been scratching about for something new to get stuck in to. 
    @randella Deutschland 83, the sequel Deutschland 86 is out in Germany and comes to C4 in 2019. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    ewal said:
    You're over-reacting.
    Well I've just given my wife her Christmas present - a bag and belt. Thought she'd like them early before the family arrives. The Hoover now works perfectly ... ;-)

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9677
    Fretwired said:
    ewal said:
    You're over-reacting.
    Well I've just given my wife her Christmas present - a bag and belt. Thought she'd like them early before the family arrives. The Hoover now works perfectly ... ;-)
    Reminds me of the time I booked a table one evening for Mrs9000 and myself - How was I to know she didn’t like snooker?
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • The UK's advertising watchdog has said it will ban "gender stereotypes that are likely to cause harm, or serious or widespread offence".

The whole idea is very reasonable, if it's actually implemented the way they claim. 

But the cynical side of me feels It sounds overly vague and open to being misused for political reasons, depending on what the politics are of the day are. 

I can't imagine it's easy to measure gender stereotypes as "likely to cause harm". Most likely they will focus on banning things based on "likely to cause serious or widespread offence". Many things are "offensive" to people -- depictions of homosexuality used to "cause widespread offence" for instance. 

Who knows, maybe this will lead to commercials being longer, with more depth to the narratives and more nuanced characterisation in order to avoid relying on stereotypes. I somehow don't see the corporate world going for it, but would be amazing if so. Fingers crossed!
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    I don't struggle with household chores, I don't fucking do any....simples.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Kilgore said:
    The ads that really wind me up are the  ones that try to claim that they're your "mate".

Usually banks, "with you on life's journey..", that kind of bollocks.

If I phone my mates they answer the phone, not put me in a queue for half an hour.

Your mates obviously aren't popular enough then. 
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4928
    ICBM said:
    EricTheWeary said:

You’ll love the Channel 4 player , if you FF through the ads it bounces you back to the start of the ads and won’t let you play any more of the programme until they’ve played.
    I don’t find that a problem at all. I just have another window open in the background with something else on - usually here - and bring that to the front until the ad has finished.
    Doesn’t work on the TV ( or my TV anyway).Although I’m struggling to think of the last thing on Channel 4 I went out of my way to watch. 

I don't know what channel whatever it is I'm watching is on; I just go through the planner and pick the show.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33799
    Sporky said:
    I think we're in a particularly shit phase for adverts.

It's either "buy our Giftmas tat" or misery-Olympics charity guilt trips. 
    Here was have an overabundance of acupuncture and Chinese 'medicine' companies advertising.
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24324
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
  • deanodeano Frets: 622
    I rarely watch TV these days except for The Apprentice which is on the BBC anyway so ad free.

I only listen to TalkSport in the car though so that is my total exposure to adverts. But it ain't so bad because they have adverts for 18v combi drills and routers, which is better than panty liners.
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12370
    Kilgore said:
    The ads that really wind me up are the  ones that try to claim that they're your "mate".

Usually banks, "with you on life's journey..", that kind of bollocks.

If I phone my mates they answer the phone, not put me in a queue for half an hour.
    Advertising themes are usually a reflection of society at the time, tesco goes from posh groceries to we're just like lidl depending on how wealthy they percieve their customers feel at the time.

Banks adverts are now based on the theory if we really pretend we're your mates you might forget about that global f#ckhole we created by buying US mortgage debt that no-one was ever going to pay back.
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3459
    This is where it starts, they are a lot cleverer than you think. They have parents buying gender specific goods at very young ages, these very young ages grow up to be parents.

The world is finally growing up.

A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • deanodeano Frets: 622
    Small children are the most sexist most gender-stereotyping grouping in society. Boys won't wear pink or be seen to play with dolls, and girls think boys are nasty and smelly.

But then again, we don't let small children run societies. I seem to remember the Khmer Rouge did that in Cambodia following the revolution and the results were less than optimal. Basically they let a group of children that had tantrums or pulled the whiskers off kittens decide on how adults should be punished.

So that is why we don't let sexist, gender-phobic, LGBT-etc-hating children run things. Which is why Jacob Reece-Mogg isn't in the Cabinet.