Boss DD7 Alternatives

What's Hot
preston61preston61 Frets: 690

So after years of gear snobbery I've finally come to realise that Boss pedals are excellent!! I currently have a PH3, TR2, RV5 and RV6. I also own a DD20 but it's taking up a fair amount of space on my board and so am thinking of getting a DD7 to go in its place. I've been obsessed with delay pedals that have presets and loads of features and functions I don't actually use and so am a little naïve to what else out there in the single form delay pedal world.

So what else is out there that is like the DD7 that is worth looking at? Are there any other single form delay pedals that don't have all the settings of the DD7, but are excellent at the delay sound they do? Analog or digital, and for under £100 2nd hand

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I had a dd7 and Hardwire DL8 at the same time and both were fine pedals.

The dl8 has a buffered/true bypass switch which may be useful depending on your setup. I preferred the modulated delay on the dl8, it sounded subtler and sweeter to me. Also has an interesting lo-fi option.

Ultimately though the sounds and the feature set on the dd7 was more to my taste and needs and that’s the one I eventually kept (until I upgraded to a dd500).

I also have the Boss dm2w wazacraft analog delay. It sounds great if you’re really into the analog sound but the dd7 is far more versatile and the analog setting on the dd7 is really nice. 

I imagine the “full fat” TC flashback will also be n your sights.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Okay so you've got the other DD's obviously - the DD3, DD5, and DD6. There isn't much difference between the DD5+6+7 in terms of tonality. The feature sets are a little different - DD7 has external tap tempo for instance, whereas the DD6 only has built in tap tempo. The DD5 has a cool hold feature which the other pedals don't do as well.

The DD3 sounds tonally different I think.

Then you've got the Digitech pedals - Digidelay, which if you find one is a great single stomp. Then you've got the Hardwire DL8, which suited me for years. Some great sounds from it, although the tap tempo implementation is crap. Then you've got the Digitech Obscura. Which sounds more 'modern' in a way. Again though, the tap tempo implementation is crap.

I'd avoid the Line 6 Echo Park. Good tones, seriously let down by poor hardware - noise issues constantly with those, and they regularly die.

If you want something very simple, you could try the MXR Carbon Copy. I prefer the bright model because the delay cuts through the mix more.

Finally there is the Electro Harmonix Canyon delay. But I've not used it.

Bye!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom

• I also have the Boss dm2w wazacraft analog delay. It sounds great if you’re really into the analog sound but the dd7 is far more versatile and the analog setting on the dd7 is really nice. 

I have considered having the Boss DM2w and the DD7 to cover my delay grounds. The sounds I like the most on the DD20 are on the DD7 (Modulate, Analog, and the standard digital delay).

Okay so you've got the other DD's obviously - the DD3, DD5, and DD6. There isn't much difference between the DD5+6+7 in terms of tonality. The feature sets are a little different - DD7 has external tap tempo for instance, whereas the DD6 only has built in tap tempo. The DD5 has a cool hold feature which the other pedals don't do as well.

The DD3 sounds tonally different I think.

If you want something very simple, you could try the MXR Carbon Copy. I prefer the bright model because the delay cuts through the mix more.

Finally there is the Electro Harmonix Canyon delay. But I've not used it.

It's probably worth noting that these delays are going in to an FX loop and are only being played with an acoustic, so the darker sounding Carbon Copy wouldn't be off the table as it will sit nicer for the more ambient style stuff I do.

In what way does the DD3 sound different?

My concern with the EHX is the reputation with their footswitches, especially on a pedal that is also a looper, it's going to get stepped on quite a lot

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Honestly, unless you REALLY crave that extra 10% analog authenticity of the dm2w, I’d just stick with a dd7.  The analog mode of the dd7 is really useable and was probably the most used mode when I had it.  

Just my my personal opinion of course.
  • Honestly, unless you REALLY crave that extra 10% analog authenticity of the dm2w, I’d just stick with a dd7.  The analog mode of the dd7 is really useable and was probably the most used mode when I had it.  

Just my my personal opinion of course.

Thanks for the input bud, it'd be more to stack the delays into one another. I currently have a JHS Panther cub 1.5 which is very good, however I can probably get a DD7 and a DM2w for the same price, and can then remove the DD20 as well and free up space. All fun and games
  • I've got a Canyon and for me it's great but simple it ain't. There's a lot under the secondary settings feature and while it auto saves them as a 'semi preset' you only only get one for each of the delay settings. If you want grainy and more distorted sounds you can dial them in easily. It does sound very good but might be a pain for live use. The button text is tiny. The EHX demo of the full size one (pretty much the same fx) shows what it's capable of.

• Line 6 Echo Park, if you can find a used one.
  • Or the DD5, even rarer though
  • The Digitech Digidelay is excellent
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4041
    DD-3
    So simple to use live:  see at a glance clarity.
    Tonally:  it just repeats whatever you put into it. 
    I'm back to this simplicity from a long path of some really fun delay pedals but ultimately I think I like this one best.
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 604
    The TC Flashback has to be worth a look as you can tailor it to be just what you want via the editor or use the toneprints. Once you have it set up to be right for you you don't need to go near a computer again. 
  • preston61 said:

So after years of gear snobbery I've finally come to realise that Boss pedals are excellent!! I currently have a PH3, TR2, RV5 and RV6. I also own a DD20 but it's taking up a fair amount of space on my board and so am thinking of getting a DD7 to go in its place. I've been obsessed with delay pedals that have presets and loads of features and functions I don't actually use and so am a little naïve to what else out there in the single form delay pedal world.

So what else is out there that is like the DD7 that is worth looking at? Are there any other single form delay pedals that don't have all the settings of the DD7, but are excellent at the delay sound they do? Analog or digital, and for under £100 2nd hand

Wis for you sir, I thought my love affair with Boss would burst at some point. I have been proven wrong. The Boss pedals that I currently own have been superb, they have behaved brilliantly for rehearsal and live use. I do less knob tweaking too. Coincidentally I have been agonising over a DD-7, DD-3 and DD-2, I think I’ll be taking home the DD-7 for now.
  • The DM-2w is worth getting too it pushed my big box DMM off my pedalboard. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • If you need the space fine, but in your shoes I'd keep the DD-20. I went on the same journey and stopped there, it sounded better to my ears and I really liked the tone knob which the other DDs don't have.
  • The DM-2w is worth getting too it pushed my big box DMM off my pedalboard. 

Thanks for all your help every one, I've picked up a DD7 and a DM2w, fun time at Christmas for me. Now to list the DD20 and JHS Panther Cub to pay for them :-)
  • preston61 said:
    Thanks for all your help every one, I've picked up a DD7 and a DM2w, fun time at Christmas for me. Now to list the DD20 and JHS Panther Cub to pay for them :-)
    I have had the DD7, DM2W combination for over three years.

Never seen any need to change them and my pedal board is almost completely BOSS. No other reason than I like the sound.

RV6, DD7, DM2w, CH1, BD2w, DS2, DS1, SD1, TU3 and counting ;)

Cheers
  • joetelejoetele Frets: 952
    preston61 said:

Never seen any need to change them and my pedal board is almost completely BOSS. No other reason than I like the sound.

Cheers
    You just need a PH3 and an HF2 and you're pretty much done :) 
    MUSIC: Pale Blurs
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • preston61 said:

Cheers

Same here bud, they are simple to use and for single sounds they do the job perfectly without costing the world.

I've got PH3, TR2, DD7, DM2w, RV5 and RV6. Could happily add another DD or RV

• Marktigere1Marktigere1 Frets: 101
    edited December 2018
    preston61 said:

Same here bud, they are simple to use and for single sounds they do the job perfectly without costing the world.

I've got PH3, TR2, DD7, DM2w, RV5 and RV6. Could happily add another DD or RV

Get yourself a DD7.  Compliments the DM2 brilliantly and its such a swiss army knife pedal with its Tap delay, looper, modulation etc etc.

Sorry, I'm good at spending other peoples money ;)

Just added the RV6 and BD2w to my haul and loving them.  

The RV6 has been my best guitar purchase this year.
  • joetele said:
    You just need a PH3 and an HF2 and you're pretty much done :) 

I'll need a bigger board :)

But yes your correct, always room for more.