MIJ Gems!

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• bugileman said:
    KKJale said:

I have a Tama TG-120 from 1977 or thereabouts. Nicely made D28-alike, solid rosewood b/s, maple binding.

Too dark for a pic, but it looks like this one…

https://i.imgur.com/9GJt4U3.jpg

Always liked the late-'70s Washburns. A friend had a Prairie Song that was great. Were they made by Yamaki?

The earlier Wasburn guitars were made by Yamaki, Yamaki went out of production around the late 80s. I emailed Washburn and was sent an email stating Yairi took over production of Washburn guitars. Personally the later Washburn guitars are in my opinion better made guitars than the Yamaki models. The fit and finish is way better. I've owned a few Yamaki guitars too, but never felt the quality was that top notch. 

The two Washburn guitars I own are beautifully made, one from 1989 and 1991. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • domforrdomforr Frets: 326
    My early 80's Daion Heritage 12 string is a bit of a gem. Sounds wonderful in DADGAD. Still not clear if it's laminate or solid wood back and sides, or whether it's cedar top or stained spruce. Most importantly it sounds lovely. 
  • domforr said:
    My early 80's Daion Heritage 12 string is a bit of a gem. Sounds wonderful in DADGAD. Still not clear if it's laminate or solid wood back and sides, or whether it's cedar top or stained spruce. Most importantly it sounds lovely. 
    I believe it's laminated. Daion/ Yamaki rarely made all solid wood apart from the F-180 etc. They are very nice sounding guitars regardless as they can fool most solid wood fans.
    Yes, I think you're right. It also seems to be a stained cedar not spruce  top.
  • domforr said:
    I found the original spec for this guitar it is a stained solid cedar top. Looks really good.
  • bugileman said:
    domforr said:
    I found the original spec for this guitar it is a stained solid cedar top. Looks really good.
    https://www.flatpickerhangout.com/photo/15457
    That's the one!